Staff Machine Learning Engineer
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
Okta is an enterprise grade identity management service, built from the ground up in the cloud and delivered with an unwavering focus on customer success. With Okta you can manage access across any application, person, or device. Whether the people are employees, partners, or customers, or the applications are in the cloud, on premises, or on a mobile device, Okta helps you become more secure, make people more productive, and maintain compliance.
The Okta service provides directory services, single sign-on, strong authentication, provisioning, workflow, and built in reporting. It runs in the cloud on a secure, reliable, extensively audited platform and integrates deeply with on premises applications, directories, and identity management systems.
About the Position
This is an opportunity to join our fast-growing Engineering Data Science team to help develop, deploy and maintain cutting-edge machine learning models to help our product offerings in security, authentication and applications. We are looking for senior machine learning engineers who can help architect and own the building, deploying and optimizing the machine learning models used to protect user authentication and security. You will also own the Machine Learning models and systems which need to process hundreds of millions of events per day and provide results back to the authentication system to make real-time risk evaluation during user authentication. This project has a directive from engineering leadership to make OKTA a leader in the use of data and machine learning to improve end-user security and to expand that core-competency across the rest of engineering.
Here are some of the problems you will be tackling:
- How do featurize all user interactions on Okta and train models on high-dimensional input?
- How do we design models to handle both tabular & unstructured data?
- How do we train models to learn quickly from fresh incremental data (few-shot learning)?
- What unsupervised systems can we build to detect anomalous behavior?
- How do we train, deploy, build scoring services for cutting-edge ML techniques such as Graph Neural Networks.
You will have an outsized impact on the direction, design & implementation of the solutions to these problems.
What you’ll do
- Designing, training, improving & launching models
- Proposing and implementing ideas that improves Okta’s understanding of user behavior.
- Building ML systems that evaluates risk online and take appropriate actions
- Working with our partner teams to launch new signals that directly impacts improving our understanding of user behavior
- Helping engineers across the company to develop technologies for scaling our infrastructure
- Debugging production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role below. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply.
- 4+ years experience building, training ML models
- 3+ years experience in enterprise-grade highly reliable, mission-critical software or big data systems
- 3+ years of experience deploying ML models in production environments serving with low latency.
- Enjoy and have experience shipping ML models in a large-scale production environment
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems
- Take pride in taking ownership and driving projects to business impact
- Thrive in a collaborative environment
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.