Staff Software Engineer, Core Infrastructure
Location: Remote -
Job Type: Full time
Okta is the identity standard. The Okta Identity Cloud is an independent and neutral platform that securely connects the right people to the right technologies at the right time. We help organizations do two things - secure and manage their extended enterprise, and transform their customers’ experiences. With over 15,800 customers, 7000+ app integrations, and well over 200 million registered users, we are only getting started.
Okta's Core Engineering team is responsible for building and evolving shared infrastructure and services that lay the foundation for what other engineering teams build on. We're in charge of common shared services like search, cache, configuration management, frameworks for async job management, and email pipeline, to name a few. We're cloud native, where redundancy, multi-tenancy, scale, resource optimization and resiliency are first class citizens. With Okta's mantra of 'Always On!' there's never a dull moment. Our biggest asset is our team of passionate engineers and technically minded managers.
We're looking for a staff level backend engineer to join a team of highly skilled and talented team players who're proud of what they own and deliver. Our elite team is fast, creative and flexible; with a weekly release cycle and individual ownership we expect great things from our engineers and reward them with stimulating new projects, new technologies and the chance to have significant equity in a company that is changing the cloud computing landscape forever.
- Work with engineering teams to design, develop and deliver cloud based infrastructure projects on a modern tech stack (Redis, Elasticsearch, Docker, Terraform on AWS)
- Drive evaluation, development and roll out of new common microservices
- Operate, support, and upgrade shared services and frameworks. Scale these as their usage invariably grows along with Okta's business.
- Conduct design and code reviews. Ensure high programming standard by writing unit and functional tests.
- Monitor, troubleshoot and fix services and frameworks the team owns
- Evaluate system performance and resolve bottlenecks
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to junior developers
- Collaborate with architects, QA, product owners, security and operations engineers
- Immense passion about doing the right thing to help Okta's technology stay ahead of its anticipated business growth
- Solid technology chops in architecting, implementing, tuning and debugging some of the largest cloud deployments in the enterprise world
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent; master's preferred.
- 5+ yrs of expansive programming experience in an object-oriented programming language like Java, especially in backend services. A superior understanding of multithreading, garbage collection, memory management.
- 3+ yrs experience of working with MySQL or equivalent relational database systems. Experience with designing and querying databases with optimization in mind is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience of working with ReST and thorough understanding of its fundamentals
- Experience with Spring, Spring Boot, Hibernate and Tomcat
- Experience with AWS, Redis, Elasticsearch, and Docker
- Knowledge of network security, authentication and authorization
- Demonstrably followed best software engineering principles
- Experience with enterprise SaaS as a good-to-have
- Familiarity with Agile software development process
((Colorado, New York and Washington only*) Minimum OTE of $154,000 /year + equity + benefits))
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.