Software Engineer, Data Platform
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
Okta is an enterprise grade identity management service, built from the ground up in the cloud and delivered with an unwavering focus on customer success. With Okta you can manage access across any application, person, or device. Whether the people are employees, partners, or customers, or the applications are in the cloud, on premises, or on a mobile device, Okta helps you become more secure, make people more productive, and maintain compliance.
The Okta service provides directory services, single sign-on, strong authentication, provisioning, workflow, and built in reporting. It runs in the cloud on a secure, reliable, extensively audited platform and integrates deeply with on premises applications, directories, and identity management systems.
About the Team
The Data Platform team is responsible for the foundational data services, systems, and data products for Okta that benefit our users. Today, the Data Platform team solves challenges and enables:
- Streaming analytics
- Interactive end-user reporting
- Data and ML platform for Okta to scale
- Telemetry of our products and data
Our elite team is fast, creative and flexible. We encourage ownership. We expect great things from our engineers and reward them with stimulating new projects, new technologies and the chance to have significant equity in a company. Okta is about to change the cloud computing landscape forever.
About the Position
This is an opportunity for software engineers to join our fast growing Data Platform organization that is passionate about scaling high volume, low-latency, distributed data-platform services & data products. In this role, you will get to work with engineers throughout the organization to build foundational infrastructure that allows Okta to scale for years to come. As a member of the Data Platform team, you will be responsible for designing, building, and deploying the systems that power our data analytics and ML. Our analytics infrastructure stack sits on top of many modern technologies, including Kinesis, Flink, ElasticSearch, and Snowflake.
We are looking for motivated Software Engineers who can help design and own the building, deploying and optimizing the streaming infrastructure. This project has a directive from engineering leadership to make OKTA a leader in the use of data and machine learning to improve end-user security and to expand that core-competency across the rest of engineering.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, implement and own data-intensive, high-performance, scalable platform components
- Work with engineering teams, architects and cross functional partners on the development of design and implementation
- Help engineers across the company to develop technologies for scaling our infrastructure
- Conduct and participate in code reviews, analysis, and performance tuning
- Participate in on call and debug production issues across services
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 2+ years of experience in object-oriented language, preferably Java
- Experience in developing backend or distributed systems
- Excellent grasp of software engineering principles and computer science fundamentals
- Deep understanding of algorithms and data structures; Big-O complexity analysis; OS/Unix concepts, tools, and techniques, object-oriented and functional concepts, design, code, and tests; code clarity, structure, and testability; parallel and concurrent programming; network, disk, and memory management
- Desire to learn and adopt new technologies
Nice to have
- Experience using a cloud-based distributed computing technologies including
- Messaging systems such as Kinesis, Kafka
- Data processing systems like Flink, Spark, Beam
- Storage & Compute systems such as Snowflake, Hadoop
- Coordinators and schedulers like the ones in Kubernetes, Hadoop, Mesos
- Familiarity with encryption, identity management, or authentication infrastructure
- Leveraged major public cloud providers to build services
- Hands-on experience in developing Data Integration applications for large scale (petabyte scale) environments with experience in both batch and online systems.
- Experience developing Kubernetes based services on AWS Stack
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.