Staff Product Designer
Location: Los Angeles, California, San Francisco, California, Seattle, Washington
Job Type: Full time
What is OktaX?
OktaX builds new companies to solve the next wave of hard enterprise software problems. We invite extraordinary technologists and leaders to join as founders-in-residence, working with our in-house technology, product and design team, to envision, validate and accelerate breakthrough solutions that will create or reinvent markets. OktaX companies have the support and funding of Okta, the world’s #1 identity platform, helping them build ambitious solutions that delight customers and rapidly converge to product-market fit. Upon graduation they may be acquired into Okta or spin out to become independent venture-backed growth companies.
We are looking for a Staff Designer to join OktaX’s in-house design function.The ideal candidate for this role is a system thinker and accomplished creator with deep expertise in concept, interaction and product design. This person should be passionate about envisioning and bringing new product concepts to life, and love working hands-on in close collaboration with technologists to find and refine bold human-centered expressions of visionary product ideas.
OktaX’s model brings together high-impact founders-in-residence, a wealth of startup leadership experience, and our in-house engineering, design and product leads, to project the future, experiment with what is becoming possible, and collaborative build and validate early slices of product targeting emerging and future market opportunities.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- As one of the designers on the OktaX core team, work collaboratively across the portfolio and with multiple founders-in-residence (both technologists and entrepreneurial executives) to conceive, sketch, prototype and user-test new product concepts.
- Research and probe challenging problems to gain a deep understanding of the industry, use cases, user goals and behaviors.
- Apply a system-thinking approach to complex product concepts. Play a central role in refining them into simplified models, and experiment with potential interaction and visualization models.
- Act as a thought partner to the head of design and in other team conversations, live-sketching and facilitating design exercises to make ideas and concepts more tangible.
- Iterate designs and solutions, embracing the philosophies of shared ownership, fast feedback loops, and the inherent messiness of the creative process
- Create user journeys, hero flows, wireframes, user flow diagrams and application maps
- Create and test prototypes, and be comfortable both iterating fast at low fidelity and creating higher fidelity mockups or functional prototypes (in collaboration with engineering)
- Plan and execute design validation research with customers and end-user testing
- Graphic and visual design support to enable founders to produce and pitch visually rich narratives (support on branding and pitch decks)
- Embrace candid feedback, prototyping, and early failure as design accelerators.
Minimum REQUIRED Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 6+ years of professional UX and/or interaction design experience
- Highly developed design skills, demonstrated in your portfolio of recent work, including work that has been seen and used successfully in actual products. (Portfolio link required when applying.)
- Confident presentation and storytelling abilities
- Experience collaborating in multifunctional teams as the interaction design lead
- Proficiency with contemporary design and prototyping tools and methods
- A solid grasp of user-centered design (UCD), planning and conducting user research, user testing, A/B testing, rapid prototyping, heuristic analysis, usability and accessibility concerns.
- Experienced at collaborating with software engineers – in particular rapid prototyping and iterative product workflow using Figma
((Colorado, New York and Washington only*) Minimum OTE of $135,000 year + equity + benefits))
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.