Principal Software Engineer
Location: Los Angeles, California, San Francisco, California, Seattle, Washington
Job Type: Full time
At Okta, we’re always innovating across the entire identity landscape, and our customers are always asking to do more with us. As the pace of change in the cloud continues at a rapid pace, the ability to move fast is a competitive advantage. To fuel this continuous innovation, Okta has created an incubator program called OktaX, building and nurturing new brands, products, and businesses from the ground up. These projects are given the freedom and flexibility to build independently like a startup, with the stability and support of the larger Okta organization – the best of both worlds!
IAM Pulse is the inaugural team within the OktaX incubator program, building a powerful toolkit for cloud engineers, initially focused on AWS change intelligence for Terraform. We have a grand vision, and are working on hard technical challenges, so we’re looking to assemble an amazing team of deep thinkers with a relentless focus on execution.
As a Principal Software Engineer, you will be a crucial part of the core team building a new product from the ground up, with a focus on building out a cloud permissions analysis engine. Our team is working with cutting edge web & cloud technologies including Rust, Web Assembly (WASM), and WebGL. This is a unique opportunity to get in at the ground level for a highly visible and expansive career opportunity, with an incredible support system in the Okta organization.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Participate in all stages of the software development lifecycle, contributing to and taking ownership of key production services
- Provide guidance on technology choices, architecture design, and development patterns
- Implement the instrumentation of core backend services & APIs, and their required infrastructure
- Utilize best practices during development including robust testing and security considerations.
Expected Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 10 years of software development experience building highly available, performant, resilient, and scalable systems
- Hands-on experience developing backend software services in Rust and TypeScript
- Experience with data modeling and data persistent technologies in SQL, key-value stores, and GraphQL
- Experience working with complex data structures and mathematical logic such as SMT solvers
- Knowledge/experience working with Web Assembly or equivalent embedded systems programming
- Knowledge/experience operating and/or securing AWS or equivalent cloud environments
- Knowledge/experience with building Infrastructure as Code using Terraform or equivalent
((Colorado, New York and Washington only*) Minimum OTE of $178,000 year + equity + benefits))
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.