Senior Corporate Counsel, Partners & Alliances
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
Accelerate your career by joining Okta, the leading provider of identity for the enterprise, as a member of our commercial legal team as Senior Corporate Counsel, Partners & Alliances. In this position you will play a key role in supporting the channel partner organization at a high growth, publicly traded tech company, that provides products enabling companies to use any technology anywhere. You will bring your experience to provide strong legal guidance, structure complex deals, and draft and negotiate a variety of global channel agreements with industry leading partners who work with Okta to distribute, resell, and implement Okta’s services to customers around the world.
This position will be remote and will report into the Sr. Director, Corporate Counsel. We have all the great perks you would expect from a tech company like remote office equipment and furniture, competitive salary, equity incentives, and flexible time off. If you want to work at a company that values personal growth, professional development, volunteerism, and solves complex problems with an incredible, dedicated, and supportive team of legal leaders, then Okta is the place for you!
- Draft and negotiate complex channel related agreements including distribution, reseller, professional services, referral, MSP, technology partner, value-added reseller, strategic alliance, and other types of partner agreements.
- Provide direct support to channel sales and leadership, both domestically and internationally (EMEA, APAC, LATAM), including channel operations to help implement a scalable legal support structure and processes which map to channel leadership’s strategic growth plans.
- Assist with creation and updating of global partner agreements and all related channel templates.
- Partner with revenue recognition, security, sales operations, technology operations, and other stakeholder teams to ensure agreements are consistent with internal Okta policies and processes.
- Manage outside counsel on an as-needed basis, including for localization of agreement templates and matters requiring local law or subject-matter expertise.
- Work directly with business executives and key business stakeholders as a strategic adviser and tactical influencer to provide business-minded legal advice and guidance on a broad range of complex legal, business, and strategic issues as they arise.
- Build critical relationships with both legal colleagues and key stakeholders to effectively provide legal and strategic advice to assist the business to meet its objectives.
- Drive and contribute to other exciting and interesting legal projects as needed.
- 7+ years of relevant experience negotiating and drafting enterprise-level go-to-market channel partner agreements and SaaS subscription software license agreements, including the ability to efficiently identify and resolve issues presented by partner paper and competition law requirements across various jurisdictions.
- 3+ years of in-house experience with a proven track record of efficiency, collaborating with sales leadership and internal stakeholders to close deals, and experience working within a fiscal-quarter cadence.
- Experience supporting a globally distributed channel sales team.
- Substantial familiarity with the SaaS business model and enterprise cloud computing concepts at a SOX compliant public company.
- Familiarity with anti-competition, distribution, agency and compliance laws applicable to third party channel partners.
- Familiarity with revenue recognition issues and experience working with Revenue and Accounting teams.
- Substantive expertise in negotiating strategic, high-value SaaS transactions with enterprise customers a plus.
- Strong influencing and leadership skills, including decisiveness on both legal and business issues with willingness to partner with other stakeholders.
- Ability to understand, evaluate and break down new, novel, and complex issues, business models and contracting approaches and present these to others in a clear and concise manner.
- Strong academic background and J.D. from highly-regarded school, bar admission.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Highly responsive and service-oriented attitude.
- Business-minded, can-do spirit with the experience to find a way through tough negotiations.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage deadlines in a fast-paced and rewarding work environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with a variety of internal clients.
- Sound and practical business judgment.
- Ambitious go-getter willing to roll up their sleeves.
- Experience negotiating cross-border transactions.
- Knowledge of intellectual property issues.
- Knowledge of international privacy laws, such as GDPR.
((Colorado, New York and Washington only*) Minimum OTE of $178,000/year + equity + benefits))
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.