Senior Product Design Manager, Okta Identity Governance (OIG) Sphere
Location: United States
Job Type: Full time
Title of Job: Sr. Product Design Manager, Okta Identity Governance (OIG) Sphere
Role Located: Remote U.S.
Okta is looking for a talented Senior Product Design Manager (you!) who shares our passion for bringing simple, yet powerful product experiences to our enterprise admins. Okta’s vision is to “accelerate a world where everyone can safely use any technology”. We bring simple and secure access to people and organizations everywhere, promising to not only protect the identities of our customers' workforce and users, but to ask, “what more can we make possible?”
Which is where you come in! As a Senior Product Designer Manager for Okta, you’ll work to lead, grow and support members of our amazing product design team, ensuring our product user experience is valuable for people, easy to use, and of the highest level of craft and execution. You will join a small but growing design leadership team where you will have the opportunity to help define and drive practice and process improvements across all of Okta product design. In collaboration and partnership with Product and Engineering, you will flesh out, frame, and help prioritize UX in an ever-evolving and complex, often ambiguous, problem space.
The Finer Print
You will lead user experience strategy and execution for our Okta Identity Governance (OIG) sphere. OIG enables customers to manage and govern users' access to resources and entitlements. It provides a policy based orchestration service to manage user identities and their entitlements that will help in overall identity lifecycle management, security and compliance, ensuring the right people have the right access to the right resources. Most of our end-to-end flows involve multiple personas – IT Admin, Reviewer/Approver, End-user, Auditor – and consider complex use cases that span the Okta portfolio.
You’ll start off managing three Product Designers.
In This Role, You Will
- Lead, grow, and motivate a globally distributed, world-class product design team.
- Understand the technology and features of the stages or areas you are assigned and have working knowledge of the end-to-end product experience.
- Proactively identify large, strategic UX opportunities that span the stages or areas you are responsible for and the product as a whole. Closely collaborating with designers and cross-functional partners to identify and set product and UX strategy for your product area and drive cross-product initiatives.
- Work closely with our User Research partners to identify and prioritize strategic user research initiatives that span your product area (and possibly across other products).
- Ensures the pursuit of achievable, measurable and impactful UX goals across your team; measuring and monitoring progress and performance against business, product, and UX objectives.
- Evolve product design team craft and process by instituting and managing design rituals (e.g. retros, critique, reviews, QA) as needed to support design team success, emphasizing EPD (engineering, product, design) collaboration.
- Evangelize design thinking across the org; identify/organize opportunities for yourself and the Product Design team to spread design thinking and enthusiasm throughout Okta
- Ensure design quality and consistency by reviewing UX deliverables (research, designs, etc.) that your team creates, and provide feedback to ensure high-quality output.
- Support helping to shift our design team and culture to a remote-first work environment
Who We Are Looking For
- You are able to navigate ambiguity and envision complex UX ecosystems, rallying around a common vision while providing space for team-led innovation
- You possess a clear vision of the future of user experience and have the courage to lead and pursue forward-thinking design.
- You are a thought leader and have experience defining high-level strategy (the why) and aligning design deliverables (the how) based on research.
- You are passionate about crafting and sharing product and design UX principles to help teams deliver cohesive user experiences.
- You have the heart of a teacher and can help mentor and train people. You build and share empathy with people in order to deeply understand them and their needs.
- You see design as a partner in shaping strategic and operational product and UX outcomes; comfortable leading all stages of design for multiple teams within a given product area.
- You are passionate about supporting teams with a wide variety of experience, backgrounds, and interests.
- You have a clear philosophy about how to successfully manage remote design teams.
- You have experience driving organizational change with cross-functional stakeholders.
- You have a collaborative team spirit with great communication skills.
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
- Degree in related field or relevant work experience as a UX designer/manager
- Proficient in Figma, Miro, Balsamiq and / or similar design tools.
- Your portfolio will show that you've worked on complex and challenging technical projects across all aspects of the design process (generative and evaluative research, conceptual design, interaction design, information architecture, and visual design). As well, your portfolio will showcase your values and philosophies with regards to design management, leadership and UX strategy.
- Builds Effective Teams: Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Demonstrates Self-Awareness (EQ): Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Develops Talent: Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Strategic Mindset: Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
((Colorado, New York and Washington only*) Minimum salary of $178,000/year + bonus + equity + benefits))
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, physial or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran.We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and convictions records, consistent with applicable laws. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please use this Form to request an accommodation.
Okta offers everything you need to support your work, your life, and your work-life balance. Click here to learn more: https://rewards.okta.com/us
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.