Quality Engineering Intern (Summer 2023)
Location: San Francisco, California
Job Type: Full time
Okta is the leading independent provider of identity for the enterprise. The Okta Identity Cloud enables organizations to securely connect the right people to the right technologies at the right time. With over 7,000 pre-built integrations to applications and infrastructure providers, Okta customers can easily and securely use the best technologies for their business. Over 10,000 organizations, including 20th Century Fox, JetBlue, Nordstrom, Slack, Teach for America and Twilio, trust Okta to help protect the identities of their workforces and customers.
Location: Remote or In-Person
We are looking for University students pursuing a Computer Science or related degree who are interested in a 2023 Summer Internship and that are passionate about building large-scale, mission-critical software in a fast-paced agile environment. An ideal candidate is passionate about cloud infrastructure, testing and automation.
Our group is responsible for testing the tools and frameworks used to reliably and efficiently deploy software and infrastructure for all of Okta’s services. These services enable engineers across product and infrastructure engineering groups to do self-service deployments.We manage the different pieces of deployment pipeline for both product and infrastructure software - Artifact Repository, Base AMI and Docker Base Images, Deployment and Validation Pipeline as well as notifications and dashboards to provide visibility into staggered deployments across Okta infrastructure. The pipeline supports deployments for Java, Python, Docker, Terraform, Chef, etc.
As a Quality Engineering Intern, you will be working with fellow QEs, developers and SREs to improve the delivery tools and test automation in JAVA, Selenium, Python, GCP, AWS and many other technologies. With the team’s support, you will own, execute and roll out your work in production.
What You will do:
- Participate together with the developers, product and documentation teams in weekly, agile based team activities like sprint and project planning
- While working closely with a senior member of the team to build test software to execute automated tests.
- Participate in reviewing infrastructure changes and ensuring quality of production rollout of those changes.
- 1 year of software engineering or test engineering experience including previous internships.
- Keen interest and desire to learn cloud based infrastructure and testing techniques.
- Knowledge in some of the following
- Java / Python or any other programming language
- Selenium or any other UI automation tools
- REST APIs and any API testing tool.
- AWS / GCP
- Self driven with excellent verbal and written communication
Nice to have Skills:
Some experience with the following
- Infrastructure testing e.g. testing a database upgrade
- infrastructure as code tools such as Terraform, Chef or Puppet
- Experience in testing monitoring of distributed, highly available cloud services
- Experience with some of the following technologies and services:
- Linux (RPM or Deb-based distributions)
- Cloud based Infrastructure as a Service (AWS or GCP)
- Configuration management systems (Chef/Puppet)
- Log management tools (Splunk/Sumologic/Kibana)
- Monitoring systems (Nagios, Zabbix, Wavefront, AppDynamics, NewRelic)
Education and Training: (In progress Dec 2023 or Spring 2024 Graduates) Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Technology or Management Information Systems
As an intern, you’ll do real work that matters. While you’re on board, you’ll work on meaningful projects and have an opportunity to see what working at Okta is all about. You’ll also have the support of your mentor and manager to help you develop new skills.
Our interns have the opportunity to build a strong community - with their fellow interns, within their teams, and with the broader company. We want you to grow professionally and you’ll do that through participating in events like our Executive Speaker Series and Brown Bags. And of course, we want you to have fun too.
Interns may choose the format of their internship: either in-person at one of our Okta offices, or virtually. We give our interns the opportunity to choose the option that best suits their needs.
We offer 12 week internships in the U.S. in the Summer and 16 week co-ops in Canada.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, physial or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran.We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and convictions records, consistent with applicable laws. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please use this Form to request an accommodation.
Okta offers everything you need to support your work, your life, and your work-life balance. Click here to learn more: https://rewards.okta.com/us
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.