Sr Mgr, Site Reliability Engineering, Cloud Security
Location: United States
Job Type: Full time
Okta is seeking a Senior Manager to build and lead a new Cloud Security SRE team.
At Okta our motto is "Always On", and nowhere do we embrace that more than in Technical Operations. We strive to build the most reliable and performant systems on the planet through the skillful use of automation. If you like to be challenged and have a passion for solving security problems at scale with systemic automation, then we would love to hear from you. The ideal candidate is someone who exemplifies the ethics of, “If you have to do something more than once, automate it,” and who can rapidly self-educate on new concepts and tools.
This is an exciting opportunity to build and lead our new Cloud Security SRE team, a critical part of our rapidly growing Infrastructure Security Engineering organization. As manager you’ll be directly responsible for recruiting amazing talent and supporting them in delivering state-of-the-art automation for securing Okta’s cloud infrastructure at scale. You’ll partner with your fellow teams in the infrastructure security organization, as well as with central security, development engineering teams, technical operations, TPM, and QA.
The ideal candidate:
- Has a track record of leading and managing high-performing technical teams while still being hands-on
- Has deep production experience with securing and operating AWS cloud-based infrastructure and at least some exposure to other clouds (GCP or Azure)
- Is passionate about solving for security and compliance through software and systems, enabling developer velocity, and minimizing manual toil as much as possible
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build and mentor a talented, diverse, and distributed engineering team
- Manage and own delivery of infrastructure security capabilities including:
- Cloud security posture management
- Access management lifecycle and governance
- Automated monitoring and enforcement of Okta’s security policies and regulatory compliance requirements
- Partnership with Okta’s security and GRC teams
- Engage in technical design and discussions and also help drive technical architecture
- Promote and apply best practices for building scalable and reliable services across engineering
- Partner with recruiting to hire and retain world-class talent
- Define team metrics and meet productivity goals of the organization
- Continuously refine monitoring processes, thresholds, and configuration
- Respond to issues and escalations and participate in a management on-call rotation
Minimum REQUIRED Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 5+ years of management experience
- Experience leading teams of 15+ highly-skilled engineers
- 7+ years as a software, DevOps, or site reliability engineer working on enterprise or SaaS commercial software
- Experience with Amazon Web Services and knowledge of AWS infrastructure and networking technologies - eg., EC2, ECS, EKS, ELB/ALB, VPC, etc.
- Experience managing and operating large-scale, high-availability Linux host and containerized systems in production
- Experience securing production services in AWS - eg., IAM roles, Security Groups, S3 Policies, KMS, Config, GuardDuty, SecurityHub, etc.
- Deep understanding and familiarity with configuration management tools like Chef, Terraform and Ansible
- Expertise in operational tooling languages such as Ruby, Python, Go and shell, and use of source control
- Experience with industry-standard security tools like Nessus and OSQuery
- Understand MySQL including replication and clustering strategies and are familiar with data stores such as DynamoDB, Redis, Cassandra and Elasticsearch
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to work effectively with distributed teams and people of various backgrounds
- BS/MS in computer science (or equivalent experience)
- Experience with Identity and Access Management, Security, Data Protection, and Vulnerability Management
- Experience influencing and deploying security standards and operating procedures for a large enterprise
- Experience with Federal and DoD compliance requirements - FedRAMP, IL
- Experience managing managers and teams of 20+
- Experience working in an agile environment with matrixed teams
- Shipping a large-scale projects with multiple cross team dependencies
- This position requires the ability to access federal environments and/or have access to protected federal data. As a condition of employment for this position, the successful candidate must be able to submit documentation establishing U.S. Person status (e.g. a U.S. Citizen, National, Lawful Permanent Resident, Refugee, or Asylee. 22 CFR 120.15) upon hire.
((Colorado, New York and Washington only*) Minimum OTE of $178,000 /year + equity + benefits))
#LI-RemoteOkta’s Top 5 Core Leadership Competencies are part of the deeply ingrained principles that guide all of our company’s actions. They also align strongly to our cultural cornerstones, our Okta values: love our customers, empower our people, never stop innovating, act with integrity, and maintain transparency. It’s our expectation that our managers and leaders embody these core competencies:
- Builds Effective Teams: Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Demonstrates Self-Awareness (EQ): Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Develops Talent: Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Strategic Mindset: Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, physial or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran.We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and convictions records, consistent with applicable laws. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please use this Form to request an accommodation.
Okta offers everything you need to support your work, your life, and your work-life balance. Click here to learn more: https://rewards.okta.com/us
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.