Staff Software Engineer, Okta Security Platform (ThreatInsights)
Location: United States
Job Type: Full time
About Okta Security Platforms team
Okta’s Security Platforms team builds platform services that keep our customers secure and protect them against attack and abuse. We are a team of Data Scientists, ML engineers, ML systems engineers and Java full stack developers that are reimagining what it means to authenticate to cloud resources.
Continuously evaluating risk is critical to gaining trust and achieving security objectives. At Okta, risk plays a critical role in authentication and authorization decisions. The Security Platform team is building a next-gen security and risk platform that continuously assesses the session, device and user security posture to build a risk graph.
Okta is an enterprise grade identity management service, built from the ground up in the cloud and delivered with an unwavering focus on customer success. With Okta you can manage access across any application, person, or device. Whether the people are employees, partners, or customers, or the applications are in the cloud, on premises, or on a mobile device, Okta helps you become more secure, make people more productive, and maintain compliance.
The Okta service provides directory services, single sign-on, strong authentication, provisioning, workflow, and built in reporting. It runs in the cloud on a secure, reliable, extensively audited platform and integrates deeply with on premises applications, directories, and identity management systems.
Okta is seeking a full stack Staff Engineer to join its Security Platform engineering group. This is an opportunity to build cutting-edge threat and risk detection systems and contribute to the evolution of the core system that allows Okta to enforce them throughout various layers of the Okta platform. The ideal candidate has experience building large scale enterprise software, is passionate about stream processing for a massive volume of event data.
You will share our passion and great pride in elegant solutions and will join an engineering team that strongly believes in designing for scale, rigorous code reviews, automated testing, and an iterative process to build high-quality enterprise software.
Our team is fast, innovative and flexible; with a weekly, agile release cycle and individual ownership. Here is an opportunity to work on stimulating new projects, emerging technologies and the chance to work on complex security and data challenges.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Own the design, development and design of the threat and risk platform end-to-end - from concept design to final implementation.
- Work with the in-house team of Data Scientists and ML engineers on model design and efficacy analysis. Use iterative and incremental approaches to improve the security outcomes.
- Influence the direction of the product design and architecture
- Collaborate with QA, Product Management, Technical Support, Documentation, and TechOps team
- Conduct design and code reviews. Ensure high programming standards by writing unit and functional tests
Required Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
- 7+ years experience building Java based web applications.
- Experience with Spring, Tomcat, RESTful API development.
- Experience with persistence technologies such as MySQL, Elasticsearch & key-value stores.
- Experience with stream processing technologies such as Storm, KDA, Flink.
- Experience with one or more UI technologies such as Angular, ReactJS, Backbone, Vue.
- Good understanding of design-patterns, scalability patterns, security engineering and object-oriented principles.
- Experience working in Agile software development teams leveraging continuous integration and deployment practices.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work across functions and time zones.
Nice to Haves
- Experience with decoupling a monolithic application into microservice architecture.
- Experience with Machine Learning systems and ML infrastructure (for example, Kubeflow, Sagemaker).
- Experience in cloud security, identity and/or authentication protocols highly desired.
Okta is an equal opportunity employer
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs.
(Colorado, New York and Washington only*) Minimum OTE of $154,000.00/year + equity + benefits))
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, physial or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran.We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and convictions records, consistent with applicable laws. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please use this Form to request an accommodation.
Okta offers everything you need to support your work, your life, and your work-life balance. Click here to learn more: https://rewards.okta.com/us
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.