Staff Production Engineer, Kubernetes Foundations (Remote, Americas)
Location: Remote - Global
Job Type: Full time
Shopify is a leading global commerce company, providing trusted tools to start, grow, market, and manage a retail business of any size. Shopify makes commerce better for everyone with a platform and services that are engineered for reliability, while delivering a better shopping experience for consumers everywhere. Shopify powers millions of businesses in more than 175 countries and is trusted by brands such as Allbirds, Gymshark, PepsiCo, Staples, and many more.
The Kubernetes Foundation team is part of the Production Engineering organization that builds, operates, and improves the heart of Shopify’s technical platform to unlock the power of planet-scale infrastructure for all of Shopify’s merchants, buyers, and developers.
The mission of the Kubernetes Foundations team is to make Shopify an informed and influential member of the upstream Kubernetes community by investing in internal expertise and external participation.
Grow open-source community profile through active participation (both beneficent and self-serving)
Contribute to the sustainability of the Kubernetes project
Provide technical leadership on Kubernetes-related internal projects
Improve Kubernetes literacy among production engineers and relevant developers
As a founding member of this team, you will be shaping not only your role, but also the company's connection to the Kubernetes community in general.
Shopify has a strong culture of supporting open-source, but has not yet made a deep investment in Kubernetes specifically. Our team aims to change that, and has strong support from Production Engineering leadership.
We have the opportunity to be a force multiplier that forges the connection to upstream not only through our own personal contributions, but also by educating our peers to see and seize alignment opportunities the company otherwise would have missed.
You’ll work on things like:
- Learn about Shopify's internal architecture as it relates to the SIGs
- Represent Shopify in the SIGs, and bring relevant information back to internal teams
- Identify fixes and features that would benefit Shopify, and work directly or through influence to see them through.
- Contribute to the general maintenance of SIG codebases
- Be a resource to internal teams, including through participation in relevant tech reviews and prototyping using upstream tools and techniques. All internal technical leadership duties will be strictly related to Kubernetes expertise.
- Pursue speaking opportunities at relevant conferences.
- Participate in shaping the role and team to mutually benefit the company and community.
Qualities you likely have to be well suited to this role:
- Existing contributor with proven history of impact in a SIG of interest
- Interested in involvement in SIG CLI as well
- Very strong Go programmer
- A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results
- Interest in a management track once the team grows.
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. Marco is an actual real live person (👋🏻) and is looking forward to learning more about you through your application. And remember, we want to know what you're really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shopify, so please give us as much detail on this as you'd like in the answers on the next page. 👍 📖
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.