Lead, Interaction Marketing Designer (Remote, Americas)
Location: Remote - Global
Job Type: Full time
Opportunity is not evenly distributed. Shopify puts independence within reach for anyone with a dream to start a business. Since 2006, we’ve grown to over 10,000 employees and generated over $500 billion in sales for millions of merchants in 175 countries. Every 28 seconds, an entrepreneur on Shopify makes their first sale.
This is life-defining work that directly impacts people’s lives as much as it transforms your own. This is putting the power of the few in the hands of the many, is a future with more voices rather than fewer, and is creating more choices instead of an elite option.
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
Before you apply, consider if you can:
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion — and embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
- Work digital-first for your daily work
NOTE: Only applicants who submit a portfolio of design work alongside application will be considered.
Shopify’s Core Product Marketing team is seeking a Lead Designer to join our cross-discipline Marketing UX team of designers, developers, producers, motion and content designers.
Core Product Marketing is focused on crafting and communicating cross-product stories that elevate the breadth and depth of the complete Shopify platform. We are responsible for awareness, and adoption of Shopify's core software products.
About The Role
We’re looking for a user-focused marketing designer who is excited to evolve and define how we represent Shopify’s core product and features to merchants, developers, and partners..
You live at the intersection of marketing and user experience and understand how to take users on a complete journey from discovery to adoption and success.
The right candidate is a strategic designer and leader, who is also comfortable getting into the weeds and working directly with their team to build effective marketing experiences (mainly digital and web) for future and current Shopify partners and merchants.
- Solve complex problems with simple design solutions and translate them into effective and cohesive suites of assets that can be leveraged across multiple mediums and channels.
- Evolve the user experience, optimizing the effectiveness, and improving the customer journey of our digital marketing properties, campaigns and activations.
- Apply strategic thinking to visualize ideas and concepts and communicate them effectively and compellingly.
- Passionate, positive, creative self-starter, who can produce quality creative packages end-to-end in a collaborative team environment, with minimal direct oversight.
- Continuously look for new ways to evolve our craft and process.
- You’ll be an active mentor for designers, helping lead critiques and design reviews.
- Using facilitative leadership skills to manage and drive to the best outcome for stakeholders, partners, and customers.
- Running design thinking workshops and helping to guide, improve, and implement design and feedback processes.
- Can navigate ambiguity in order to move a project, our team vision and company mission forward.
- Lead design projects of significant scope, complexity and responsibility in creative vision, strategy and execution.
- Working with cross-functional teams (developers, product, marketers, researchers, production, content designers, fellow designers) to drive design vision and strategy that meets the needs of our users.
- Work closely with our marketing and product counterparts to shape marketing initiatives, grow the number of customers using Shopify, and the reach of Shopify the brand.
- Building positive, collaborative relationships with product management, development, marketing, and the broader UX team, as well as continuously "raising the bar" as an effective leader of positive change.
- A keen eye for good design and attention to detail.
- The desire to drive creative through an end-to-end UX process, including research, ideation, iteration, and validation.
- Exceptional UX fundamentals, principles, heuristics, and best practices including, research, prototyping, and validation.
- Excellent communication and storytelling skills; you have the ability to help your team and stakeholders understand the “why” behind your design rationale.
- You’ve led a multidisciplinary team including design, research, development, production and content.
- You understand that leadership is a craft, and know how to mentor team members to help them grow.
- Deep experience with driving and applying user-centered design processes while working with cross-functional teams including development, product management, marketing, and research.
- Working closely with the PMM and Product on your projects to balance technical, business, and user requirements.
- An understanding that great experiences come from collaborative decision-making with marketers, developers, researchers, content, production and other disciplines.
- Adjust quickly to shifting approaches, situations, and priorities.
- Passion for unpacking and solving complex problems.
- Expert knowledge of the end to end iterative design process, including how to develop and use personas, journey mapping, content design art direction, wireframing and prototyping, user testing, and high fidelity visuals.
- A scrappy, resourceful approach to projects - you’re proactive and great at self assigning tasks.
- Empathy for the user and about building for everyone - this includes, but is not limited to, accessibility, internationalization and localization, browser and device support.
- Proficiency with design and prototyping tools (Figma, Photoshop, etc), as well as knowledge of working with various mediums such as web, social, email, blogs etc.
- Knowledge and familiarity with a data informed approach to design. You’ve used tools and resources needed to measure success of design decisions (A/B testing tools, Google Analytics, etc.).
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.