Senior Staff Analytics Engineer
Location: Remote - Global
Job Type: Full time
Opportunity is not evenly distributed. Shopify puts independence within reach for anyone with a dream to start a business. Since 2006, we’ve grown to over 10,000 employees and generated over $500 billion in sales for millions of merchants in 175 countries. Every 28 seconds, an entrepreneur on Shopify makes their first sale.
This is life-defining work that directly impacts people’s lives as much as it transforms your own. This is putting the power of the few in the hands of the many, is a future with more voices rather than fewer, and is creating more choices instead of an elite option.
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
Before you apply, consider if you can:
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion — and embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
- Work digital-first for your daily work
Data is a crucial part of Shopify’s mission to make commerce better for everyone. We organize and interpret petabytes of data to provide solutions for our merchants and stakeholders across the organization.
Data is the voice of all our customers – merchants, buyers, developers – and hearing this voice clearly is critical to us making commerce better for them. As an Analytics Engineer, your primary responsibilities will be to build a first class data warehouse. Our Analytics Engineering team will unlock a large number of analyses on varied topics not only now but in the future and will also provide a complete view of Shopify’s product and business.
Example day to day responsibilities include:
- Partnering as a member of the Analytics Engineering founding team to influence and create this greenfield space at Shopify
- Working with business partners to understand requirements
- Working with developers to understand and influence how data is produced
- Collaborating with data engineers on tooling for automated tasks around consuming, validating raw/modeled data, updating modeled data
- Designing, building, profiling, and documenting our datasets and the jobs that build them
- Profiling raw data sets
- Writing data transformations using dbt or Spark
- Optimizing data transformation pipelines to increase freshness or reduce computational time/cost
- Controlling data set quality
- Debating whether leading or trailing commas are better
- Fixing jobs that are broken in production (wrong data types returned, granularity not as expected, resourcing issues)
- Creating and implementing architecture and standards for all the Analytic Engineer team.
- Collaborate with sister disciplines (Engineering, Data Science) to establish best practices.
- Commercial experience in Data Engineering, and/or Analytics Engineering, building scalable data warehouses
- Dimensional Modeling (Star Schema, Kimball, Inmon)
- Advanced SQL skills (ease with window functions, defining UDFs)
- Exposure to Data Engineering tooling: ingesting, testing transformations, lineage, orchestration, publishing data, metric layers
- Fantastic collaboration and communication skills, demonstrated by successful large-scale projects spanning multiple teams
- Technical thought leader, comfortable navigating ambiguity and mentoring various level of team members
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.