Staff Data Scientist (ML) - Order Risk (Remote, US or Canada)
Location: Remote - Global
Job Type: Full time
Shopify is the leading omni-channel commerce platform. Merchants use Shopify to design, set up, and manage their stores across multiple sales channels, including mobile, web, social media, marketplaces, brick-and-mortar locations, and pop-up shops. The platform also provides merchants with a powerful back-office and a single view of their business, from payments to shipping. The Shopify platform was engineered for reliability and scale, making enterprise-level technology available to businesses of all sizes. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Shopify currently powers over 2,000,000 businesses in approximately 175 countries and is trusted by brands such as Allbirds, Gymshark, PepsiCo, Staples, and many more.
Shopify has redefined commerce, raising the standard for how businesses of all sizes manage, market and sell their products and services. Powered by the most innovative platform on the market, we continue to grow rapidly while constantly looking for new ways to impact and disrupt markets.
About the role
Within Merchant Services, our job is to build superpowers that put small businesses on a level playing field with the largest e-commerce players.
As a Staff Data Scientist, you are expected to play a crucial role pushing forward product development across multiple domains. Staff Data Scientists do this by informing high-level product strategy and execution, building a strong and broad operating picture allowing us to move quickly, and/or improving underlying algorithms, heuristics and rules powering individual products. We expect a very high degree of autonomy and proactivity, as well as the ability to compound the work of multiple data scientists into powerful conclusions.
- Proactively identify and champion projects that solve critical problems for merchants
- Partner closely with product, engineering and other business leaders to influence product and program decisions with data
- Own the operating picture and use a strong analytical toolbox to highlight opportunities and guide execution
- Build actionable KPIs, production-quality dashboards, informative deep dives, and scalable data products
- Influence leadership to drive more data-informed decisions
- Define and advance best practices within data science and product teams
- Experience in end-to-end lifecycle of ML model - conceptualizing, building and deploying ML model in production environment
- Proficiency in Python and experience with software architecture and system design
- Experience with applied statistics and general quantitative problem-solving
- Demonstrated ability to translate analytical insights into clear recommendations and effectively communicate them to technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Curiosity about the problem domain and an analytical approach
- Strong sense of ownership and growth mindset
Experience with one or more:
- Understanding of SQL techniques ,experience with Spark and ML frameworks
- Experience working with real time/streaming data
- Expertise with statistical techniques and their applications in business
- Deep understanding of dimensional modelling and scaling ETL pipelines
- Extensive domain experience in Risk, Fraud and Abuse Prevention
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
Before you apply, consider if you can:
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hyper-growth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion — and embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
- Work digital-first for your daily work
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Shopify is now permanently remote, and we’re working towards a future that is digital by design. That location you see above? Consider it merely an example of hundreds of potential locations Shopify is hiring. Learn more here: https://www.shopify.com/careers/work-anywhere
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.