Global SOX Financial Controls Senior Manager
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Job Type: Full time
This position is an exciting opportunity to join our Global Finance team and make an immediate impact in the development of the Internal Audit function. This role will be integral in maintaining and supporting the integrity and effectiveness of the Company’s control environment. Thoughtworks is seeking a seasoned Financial Controls (SOX) Manager to join our finance team to develop and lead SOX compliance across the organization. The Global Financial Controls Senior Manager will be a key member of our Global Controllership team and will be responsible for managing the rollout of internal controls covering financial reporting across the organization. We are seeking an experienced internal controls and risk management, professional who has a history of working at a publicly traded company and designing and implementing SOX compliant internal controls over financial reporting across a multi-national business. This position will be responsible for assessing financial risks associated with key financial functions, updating applicable risk control matrices (RCMs) and suggesting the best internal controls to mitigate the identified risks. The role will require a self-starter who can work in a fast-paced environment while managing multiple competing projects.
This position will report through the global corporate finance function
- Execute on all phases of the Company’s ongoing SOX 302 and 404 compliance efforts, responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Maintain (and create) RCMs, control checklists and assist control owners with quarterly assessments to monitor the effectiveness of such controls
- Manage upgrading of internal control environment that would align with best practice aspects of a SOX compliant environment
- Perform financial risk and ERM assessments to determine top risks to the organization and identify mitigation plans
- Direct projects to help achieve sound internal controls
- Organize and assign the documentation of RCMs, narratives, flow-charts and TOD (Test of Detail) and lead preparation of detailed documentation
- Assign control testing to process owners and monitor status of completion
- Summarize results of testing and report results to Global Controller and CFO
- Monitor status of assigned tasks for control implementation and work with already existing team to prioritize to meet deadlines
- Responsible for working with a variety of business owners across the organization on implementation, execution, and compliance with entity level controls
- Recommend steps needed to address any control deficiencies, work with control owners to ensure all deficiencies are addressed on a timely basis and provide regular status updates to management
- Conduct ongoing training & education on internal control related topics across all functions
- Staying current to changes in regulatory guidance, industry best practices, and areas of focus/hot topics for external audits
- Facilitate requests between the control owners and the external audit team
- 5+ years of SOX management experience (managing a variety of stakeholders across the breadth of the organization) with at least 2 years in a public company environment
- Experience working with SEC clients in a public accounting environment or directly for, publicly traded companies
- Degree in Accounting and CPA required
- Experience with Sarbanes Oxley implementation and oversight at a multi-national company
- Time spent in publicly traded companies (preferred)
- Prior experience managing complex multinational workflows & risk management (preferred)
- Sarbanes-Oxley experience with 404 compliance (preferred)
- Experience communicating with all levels of management
- Experience collaborating and working in a team environment
Other things to know
Learning and Development
There's no one-size-fits-all career path at Thoughtworks: however, you want to develop your career is entirely up to you. But we also balance autonomy with the strength of our cultivation culture. This means your career is supported by interactive tools, numerous development programs and teammates who want to help you grow. We see value in helping each other be our best and that extends to empowering our employees in their career journeys.
While we’ve traditionally been a traveling consultancy, travel is not required for this role at the moment. We anticipate the need for travel to our client locations in the future when it’s deemed safe.
It is the policy of Thoughtworks, Inc. to provide a work environment free of discrimination. The Company will take affirmative action to ensure applicants and Thoughtworks employees are treated without regard to race, color, religion, sex/gender, national origin, ethnic origin, veteran or military status, family or marital status, disability, genetic information, age, sexual orientation, gender expression or gender identity. This also includes individuals who are perceived to have any of the aforementioned attributes. Thoughtworks will adhere to all federal, state, and municipal laws and regulations governing employment.
Thoughtworks is a global technology consultancy that integrates strategy, design and engineering to drive digital innovation. For 28+ years, our clients have trusted our autonomous teams to build solutions that look past the obvious. Here, computer science grads come together with seasoned technologists, self-taught developers, midlife career changers and more to learn from and challenge each other. Career journeys flourish with the strength of our cultivation culture, which has won numerous awards around the world.
Join Thoughtworks and thrive. Together, our extra curiosity, innovation, passion and dedication overcomes ordinary.