Senior Android Engineer, Find
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn’t come with a manual. That's why we’re building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes — knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $500B industry — we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We’re seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we’ll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in all 3,143 U.S. counties
- 70 million projects started on Thumbtack
- More than 4 million customers in the last 12 months
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- More than 8 million 5-star reviews for our stellar pros
- 1000+ employees and $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
About the Team
CX-Find is a product team that works cross-functionally to build an intuitive customer experience that helps customers connect with the right pro for their particular needs. The team consists of engineers across the entire stack (backend, Android, web, and iOS) who work together to develop and iterate on new features for pros on the platform. We collaborate with our partners across product, research, design, analytics, marketing, and customer success to bring a well-rounded experience to pros. CX-Find owns many critical parts of the customer-facing product including the pro list, service page and the request flow.
The challenges on CX-Find include providing the most relevant signals for customers to decide on a pro that they'd like to contact and making sure that the pro that they're interested in is capable of doing their job. The work we do affects customers in their day-to-day lives, so it’s critical that we get it right.
- Drive engineering projects to completion, with a tenacious focus on the business impact of those projects. Skilled at prioritizing tasks to deliver on goals with a sense of urgency
- Execute new ideas quickly and effectively in Android while also being a resource to other teams and engineers
- Willing, when necessary, to solve tough technical problems at any level of the stack, and be persistent in getting to the solution
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams such as Product and Design to plan and execute on engineering projects
- Work on large projects and lead small teams of engineers
- Minimum of 5 years of industry experience in engineering
- Hands-on experience with Kotlin or Java
- Passionate Android engineer comfortable in building, testing, releasing, and maintaining Android applications
- Excited by the potential of mobile technology to transform the lives of small businesses around the country
- Experience with popular 3rd party libraries, frameworks, and services like RxJava, ButterKnife, AutoValue, Retrofit, Dagger, Crashlytics, and Amplitude, including when not to use one
- Strong eye for beautiful design and user experience
- Familiarity with Material design principles and components
- Able to explain technical concepts clearly and write good documentation
- You’re data-driven and dedicated to thorough testing to maintain high-quality software
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
- Virtual-first working model coupled with quarterly in-person events and Camp Thumbtack
- 20+ company-wide holidays including two week-long shutdowns
- Libraries (collaborative workspaces) in San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto, and Manila
- Stipends for remote work support, home office set-up and internet
- Subscriptions and Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
- Cell Phone Reimbursement, Thumbtack services (North America only)
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact email@example.com.