Senior Engineer - Combat Systems (Navigation)
BAE Systems UK
Location: South Gloucestershire
Job Type: Not Specified
Job title: Senior Engineer – Combat Systems - Navigation
Location: Bristol, Frimley, Barrow in Furness or Weymouth. We offer a range of hybrid and flexible working arrangements.
What you’ll be doing:
- Support system design of the navigation systems for the submarine platform
- Gathering and support high-level customer requirements and decomposing into system level requirements
- Support design change and design improvement from existing platform baselines to ensure system functionality future platforms
- Cascading requirements to suppliers and carrying out supplier visits, to support the development and integration of sub-systems
- Being involved in design reviews, including those with ship builders, suppliers, and the MoD customer
- Support system integration and testing
- Updating and integration of sub-systems including GPS tracking, Electronic chart systems and other navigational sensors
- Overcoming obsolescence by providing and updating the latest equipment and technology prior to client handover
- Ensure Product Safety and Security through cyber defence principals
Your skills and experiences:
- Demonstrable Systems Engineering experience, including managing requirements and acceptance activities, systems design and integration, creation of technical documentation and change management experience
- An understanding of lifecycle management
- HNC / HND or equivalent qualification or experience
- Understanding of DOORs and Enterprise Architect
- Previous navigational experience/knowledge (e.g. experience in Inertial systems/GPS systems/Gyro systems)
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
The Combat Systems team:
The Combat Systems team will be helping design and develop safety critical navigation systems for the Astute submarine class. These systems are safety-critical and mission-critical, and provide cutting edge capability to the Royal Navy. This role will provide you with the ability to gain experience of combat system interfacing of navigational systems. This role will provide the opportunity to work on a high-profile engineering programme, enabling you to interact with several internal and external stakeholders including the Ministry of Defence.
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals.
We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.”
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.