Principal Engineer - Mechanical (Propulsion)
BAE Systems UK
Job Type: Not Specified
Job title: Principal Engineer – Mechanical (Propulsion)
Location: Barrow-In-Furness. We offer a range of hybrid and flexible working arrangements - please speak to your recruiter about the options for this particular role.
What you’ll be doing:
- Responsible for the production of engineering documentation and technical specifications for area of responsibility and, in addition, produce supporting calculations and undertake design reviews to support the issue of said documentation
- To produce evidence in support of qualification, legislative requirements and safety justifications and provide specialist support for associated activities
- Provide support to the Certificate of Design activities appropriate to the discipline and articulate and present complex technical argument clearly, logically, and simply
- To articulate and present detailed technical argument clearly, logically, and simply
- Support the transverse teams (safety, ILS, and human factors) in producing the documentation that underpins the design
- Work with BAE Systems’ supply chain department and equipment suppliers to deliver equipment that meets customer requirements
Your skills and experiences:
- Degree qualified in an Engineering discipline
- Chartered status or working towards this
- Experience of fluid dynamics/ fluid systems / rotating machinery or relevant experience (oil & gas, civil nuclear, renewable energy) which could be transferrable into a marine propulsion environment
- Experience within Marine propulsion. Or previous steam and propulsion background
- Marine / submarine background
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
The Astute Stage 1 Propulsion team:
As a Principal Engineer – Mechanical (Propulsion) you will be involved in a very varied role working on the design build and test of the submarine propulsion package, dealing with propulsion systems as we build the remaining Astute submarines.
This role will provide you with the opportunity to work towards technical lead of major propulsion packages and the opportunity to progress into a long-term position of technical and/or people management.
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.”
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.