Principal Engineer - Support Engineering (Configuration Control)
BAE Systems UK
Job Type: Not Specified
Job title: Principal Engineer – Support Engineering (Configuration Control)
Location: Barrow, Filton or Brough. We offer a range of hybrid and flexible working arrangements.
What you’ll be doing:
- Leading on the governance, control and monitoring of Configuration and Datum Pack work activities to support each project, ensuring that progress is understood, with threats and key issues identified early and appropriate action plans are developed to address.
- Scoping, planning and coordinating project reviews, ensuring all inputs are available and all outputs are produced and issued in a timely manner to support the following; weekly internal reviews, monthly project reviews and monthly customer meetings.
- Delivering assigned projects/initiatives as directed by the Senior Project Manager, to the applicable quality, schedule and cost criteria.
- Responsible for the identification and coordination of cross-functional activities required in the discharging of Configuration and Datum Pack business requirements from conception to delivery, acceptance/transition to in-service by the customer, including coordinating support and ensuring a well-managed schedule of reviews is in place that will assess readiness at key stages of the product build programme.
- Leading and managing production of various progress reports i.e. progress, risk, MoD visibility reports etc. using appropriate tools and reporting metrics.
- Leading on the identification and management of Configuration and Datum Pack risks on the Support Risk Register for each respective project.
- Developing, maintaining and managing key relationships with capability leads, functions, customers and other stakeholders across the submarine enterprise to ensure all Configuration and Datum Pack activities are achieved and that issues are effectively addressed.
- Ensuring the effective and co-ordinated integration of all Configuration and Datum Pack work streams with other work streams for each respective project.
- Responsible for the configuration / baseline management of all Configuration and Datum Pack outputs, to ensure a process is in place to control subsequent changes as necessary to meet internal and contractual obligations.
- Planning and managing workshops with partners across the submarine enterprise, including Rolls Royce, Babcock, Electric Boat and other groups within the industry, to ensure best practice and lessons learned are applied in the planning and execution of Configuration and Datum Pack activities.
- Identifying, establishing & deploying Quality Assurance (QA) initiatives within the Configuration and Datum Pack discipline, with the approval of the Support Information Manager, to meet both internal and external requirements. The aim being to ensure an acceptable standard of accuracy and completeness applying the “right first time” philosophy.
Your skills and experiences:
- Configuration Planning - Be able to understand Product & Contractual Requirements for a Project and to produce the Configuration Management Plan (CMP).
- Define and Govern Configuration Baselines and Change Control - Be able to interpret the PMP, CMP and Baseline Management Plans to describe the baseline types (e.g. project, product, design articles, build articles) that will be required to manage and deliver a programmes through a product lifecycle.
- Status Accounting and Auditing - Understand the importance of Status Accounting and how the status account record is used by a programme to identify, capture and analyse the configuration health of the data supporting a product(s).
- Control of Configured Information - Be able to capture and control the delivery of configured information into and out of the business, within BAE Systems, suppliers, partners and the Customer.
- Knowledge of Relevant Configuration Standards - Have knowledge of the applicable configuration standards and an ability to understand how they should be applied to the project (including, but not limited to): Def-Stan 05-057, ISO 10001, Def-Stan 21-13, Def-Stan 21-12, Def-Stan 02-28, Def-Stan 00-600.
- Understanding of Asset Hierarchies - Have knowledge of how breakdown structures including WBS, PBS, BOM are developed and are interdependent, to ensure that the product artefacts and deliverables are managed and controlled in a structured manner.
- Experience of working on complex, cross-functional projects ideally with a background in manufacturing or engineering.
- Have experience in the development of clearly defined & established working relationships to internal & external suppliers and customers.
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
The Submarines Support team within Integrated Combat Systems:
You will be working with the team that defines the Through Life Supportability (TLS) of the submarine product with the primary goal of maximising its operational availability to the Royal Navy and ultimately the defence of the realm. The Submarines Support team within Integrated Combat Systems is responsible and accountable for ensuring that the design is supportable and operated in line with the Boat Safety Case and that support outputs are delivered in line with key Boat programme milestones and actioned in-service.
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.”
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.