Engineer - Materials Technology (Coatings)
BAE Systems UK
Job Type: Not Specified
Job title: Engineer – Materials Technology (Coatings)
Location: Barrow in Furness
Salary: Up to £35,870 depending on experience
What you’ll be doing:
- Maintaining process instructions / workmanship standards in relation to paint for programme
- Informing the ACE hull outfit / structures of necessary changes to the programme paint schedule/SDD
- Recommending recovery methods for failures in coatings
- Investigating new paint coatings and preparation techniques
- Providing support and deputise for the Coating and Corrosion Lead
- Reviewing of technical data concerning effectiveness of existing and future paint products
- Ensuring that all paints used on all platforms are fully compliant with contract requirements
- Having awareness of design requirements for paint on various platform submarines and undertaking functional design and/or provide specialist advice and qualification of their scope of responsibility and provide evidence for acceptance and fitness for purpose
Your skills and experiences:
- STEM degree or equivalent
- Working knowledge of paint and application processes
- Experience of carrying out analysis of paint failures
- Qualified to ICorr level 3 or equivalent
- Hold BAGS CSWIP coating qualification
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
The Submarine team:
Our Submarines business has been safely delivering world class submarines to the UK Royal Navy for more than a century.
The Astute class will equip the Royal Navy with its largest and most capable generation of attack submarines. We are responsible for the design, build, test and commissioning of these state-of-the-art vessels. In total, seven boats will make up the fleet, each weighing a mighty 7,400 tonnes.
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.”
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.