Engineer - Materials Technology (Coatings)
BAE Systems UK
Job Type: Not Specified
Job title: Engineer - Materials Technology (Coatings)
Location: Barrow In Furness
What you’ll be doing:
- Maintaining process instructions / workmanship standards in relation to coatings for the submarine programmes
- Informing the ACE Hull & Outfit of necessary changes to the programme paint schedule/Coatings Design Disclosure Document
- Recommending recovery methods for failures in coatings
- Investigating new paint coatings, preparation and testing techniques
- Providing support to and deputising for the Corrosion & Coatings Lead
- Liaising with the MoD with regards to customer requirements
- Reviewing of technical data concerning effectiveness of existing and future coating systems
- Ensuring that all coatings used on all platforms are fully compliant with contract requirements
- Having an awareness of the design requirements for coatings on submarine platforms / systems, undertaking design reviews, providing specialist advice and qualification of their scope of responsibility; ultimately providing evidence for acceptance and fitness for purpose
Your skills and experiences:
- Attention to detail with an inspection background, preferably in paint or coating applications
- Have an understanding of inspection, corrective actions and reparations processes
- Ideally you will be a certified ICore Level 1 or equivalent, with a STEM background to HNC/HND level
- Good reporting and communication skills
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
The Materials Technology team:
As an Engineer - Materials Technology (Coatings), you will provide expertise to the business in all aspects of coating selection and application, ensuring all coatings related procedures and specifications represent best practise methods and are properly enforced.
This role will provide you with the opportunity to have a direct involvement on the Astute, Dreadnought and SSNR Submarine Programmes, working on both the physical products in build, and in the design stages of future submarines.
Our Submarines business has been safely delivering world class submarines to the UK Royal Navy for more than a century.
The Astute class will equip the Royal Navy with its largest and most capable generation of attack submarines. We are responsible for the design, build, test and commissioning of these state-of-the-art vessels. In total, seven boats will make up the fleet, each weighing a mighty 7,400 tonnes.
Dreadnought is the successor to the Vanguard class of nuclear deterrent submarines. We will deliver four submarines to the Royal Navy, with the first submarine entering service in the early 2030s. Dreadnought is widely considered to be one of the world's most complex engineering challenges.
We have sites in Barrow-in-Furness, Filton, Frimley, Ash Vale, Broad Oak and Weymouth, and we pride ourselves on employing the best professionals around. Join us and you'll be part of something important; something you can be proud of.
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.”
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.