Principal CFD Engineer
BAE Systems UK
Job Type: Not Specified
Job title: Principal CFD Engineer - Submarines
Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Bristol, Portsmouth, and Frimley with consideration given to flexible working arrangements.
What you’ll be doing:
- Conducting computational fluid dynamic analysis and evaluation of submarine platforms from concept design to in-service support.
- Developing in-house modelling capability, processes and toolsets for use on our High-Performance Computing platform.
- Working collaboratively with systems teams, naval architects, manoeuvring, control, and propulsion engineers as well as customers and suppliers to deliver innovative submarine solutions.
- Validating CFD predictions of submarine performance to alternative mathematical/computational methods and physical model testing.
Your skills and experiences:
- In-depth knowledge and a proven experience with CFD modelling in software packages such as Star-CCM+, Ansys Fluent/CFX or Open FOAM
- A strong understanding of fluid dynamic principles and methods
- Degree qualified in STEM discipline or related field
- Hydrodynamic/aerodynamic design and evaluation experience
- Physical testing experience
- Chartered status or able to achieve chartership
- Experience of scripting in Matlab or Python
- Understanding of the defence industry/submarine products
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual leave incentive.
The CFD team:
As a part of CFD team, you will be working alongside a team of experts within the hydrodynamics team. You will be carrying out modelling, analysis and evaluating activities specifically related to CFD, whilst interfacing with project teams to work through issues and present potential solutions.
This role will provide you with the chance to influence a large, technically innovative project, as well as the opportunity to be involved with cutting edge technology development.
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals.
We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.”
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.