Principal Engineer - Human Factors
BAE Systems UK
Job Type: Not Specified
Job title: Principal Engineer - Human Factors
Location: Office locations include Barrow-in Furness, Frimley, Bristol, and Portsmouth with consideration given to flexible working arrangements. Please speak to your recruiter about the options for this role.
What you’ll be doing:
- Understanding operator tasks to influence design, identifying issues with design and system processes, leading to making changes to improve operability
- Analysing and assessing workload and situation awareness to optimise operator performance through design
- Planning and conducting user trials to assess developing design and optimise user interaction
- Developing and analysing Human Computer Interaction (HCI)
- Assessing Human Machine Interface (HMI)
- Applied anthropometry and assessment of spatial layout design including working with 3D Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools, immersive VR, and full-scale mock-ups
- Providing human reliability analysis and human factors support to safety cases
Your skills and experiences:
- Degree qualified in Human Factors/Ergonomics or a related discipline (e.g., Psychology, Industrial Design) OR equivalent experience
- Proficient with Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience of working on complex engineering projects would be beneficial
- Chartered engineer or progressing towards
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
The Human Factors team:
Our projects are diverse and highly complex, requiring a great level of pragmatism and unique problem-solving skills. Often the role will take you onto the Submarine in build, where you can experience the product and talk to the crew first-hand. We are immersed in the life cycle of the Submarine from design through to build and operation but also support the design of site facilities and equipment used to build and launch the Submarine.
At the heart of the team is a community - we have over 20 Human Factors Specialists with a broad range of experience from those developing in role to highly specialised individuals approaching 30-40 years in the field. We have a strong mentoring and coaching ethos and with career pathways in place we offer a clear and fully supported progression route. We will consider any applicants with a background in Human Sciences or Human Factors related disciplines.
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.”
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.