Senior Engineering Manager - Site Safety Case
BAE Systems UK
Job Type: Not Specified
Senior Engineering Manager - Site Safety Case
Location: Barrow-in-Furness - We offer a range of hybrid and flexible working arrangements - please speak to your recruiter about the options for this particular role
What you’ll be doing:
- Technical and line management of a team producing Nuclear Site Safety Cases to enable boat build activities
- Ensure that safety documentation is produced and maintained in accordance with relevant Site Safety Case business arrangements, and support the maintenance and continuous improvement of these arrangements
- Act as a point of contact with internal and external safety and regulatory authorities on matters relevant to their delegated area of responsibility
- Ensure that their team undertakes all activities in a manner consistent with Company Policy, Business Processes and the Quality Assurance programme
- Ensure that sufficient project analysis is undertaken to plan work efficiently, provide project status and identify risks and mitigation features
- Compliant with all health and safety requirements and qualifications for the role and position
- Provide advice and information as required to relevant stakeholders that interact with the Site Safety Case to ensure that relevant activities do not compromise nuclear safety on the Licensed/Authorised Site
- Support the promotion of Site Safety Case ownership across BAE SYSTEMS Submarines
- Deputise as required for the Principal Engineering Manager (Site Safety Case)
Your skills and experiences:
- Extensive knowledge of the techniques and methodologies used in the development of safety cases that meet relevant good practice
- Experience of UK nuclear legislation, nuclear industry, site licensing, authorisation and environmental permitting and associated industry guidance
- Knowledge of the UK nuclear regulatory landscape and permission requirements, and experience in coordinating compliance with these as they apply to safety cases
- Extensive experience in managing the production and implementation of safety cases
- Experience in leading specialist teams and the provision of advice to influence senior stakeholders
- Qualification in a relevant STEM subject (or demonstrable equivalent experience)
- Membership of a relevant professional institute
- Secondary post-graduate qualification relating to nuclear safety
- Experience of working within the UK submarine programme
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
Our Nuclear Site Safety Case Team:
As a Senior Engineering Manager, you will lead a team of managers, safety engineers, specialist contractors and project engineers to define and deliver the Site Safety Case programme of work, as relevant to your area of responsibility and as delegated by the Principal Engineering Manager (Site Safety Case), and manage the production of the resulting Site Safety Cases and supporting documentation. You will be responsible for ensuring that deliverables produced by your team will meet applicable legislative/contractual requirements and relevant good practice to support the safe execution of delivery Programmes.
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.