Senior Engineer - Structures
BAE Systems UK
Location: Glasgow City
Job Type: Not Specified
Job title: Senior Engineer - Structures
Location: Scotstoun, Filton, or Portsmouth. We offer a range of hybrid and flexible working arrangements.
Salary: Up to £52,800, depending upon experience
What you’ll be doing:
- Producing structural design solutions, supported by calculations, for global and local ship structures as well as equipment foundations
- Performing linear-elastic FEA of local or global ship structures as assigned, using local sub-modelling techniques to identify local stress issues and provide suitable design solutions
- Liaising with the Detail Design community and equipment owners to unblock issues preventing the conclusion of structural design activities
- Documenting analyses in accordance with BAE standards with the minimum of intervention
- Preparing Design Sketches of structural solutions as required
Your skills and experiences:
- Experience of marine structural design and the sound judgement needed to be able make correct trade-off decisions
- Ability to perform analysis using recognised analytical tools and to make sound judgements based on experience
- Degree qualified in Naval Architecture or similar engineering related discipline
- Proven experience in an engineering, marine or defence or related industry
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual leave incentive.
The Structural Designteam:
The team is delivering 32 ships for the Royal Navy, Royal Australian Navy and Royal Canadian Navy using the BAE Systems Global Combat Ship design. With the ships being built in the UK, Australia and Canada, this role will support design changes and requirements to all three programmes.
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals.
We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.”
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.