Fabricator - Plater
BAE Systems UK
Location: Glasgow City
Job Type: Not Specified
We serve and protect those who serve and protect us. Attracting and retaining the sharpest minds is essential for a globally competitive UK Naval Ships Business. Our aim is to recruit the very best talent. At BAE we want to be the leading employer in defence and security for valuing diversity and inclusion. We care about difference in all forms and want to create an inclusive environment where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential.
We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently under-represented within our industry, including women, people from ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to be a preferred home for veterans and reservists.
We design and manufacture a range of naval ships and state of the art combat systems and equipment, giving customers the capability to fulfil extensive naval operations. From offshore patrol vessels through to the latest City Class Type 26 frigates that we are building for the UK Royal Navy, and the Australian Hunter Class and Canadian Surface Combatant, we are a business that operates on a truly global platform and can offer a wide range of opportunities where you can play your part in these challenging and exciting projects.
Attracting and retaining the sharpest minds is essential for a globally competitive UK naval engineering business. Our aim is to recruit the very best talent and we welcome applications from a diverse range of people, from all backgrounds, with many different skills, experience, and perspectives. We offer the flexibility you need to do what’s important to you, whether that’s job sharing, home working, or simply the ability to flex your start and stop times. Where practical, we’ll support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your full potential.
Fabricator - Plater
Our shipbuilding business is growing, and we are now recruiting Fabricator - Platers to fabricate, assemble and/or install parts of a ship, with the aim of delivering the very best product possible to our customers. Constructing the ship, pulling together all the component parts. You will be working to engineering standards, striving for quality right first time. Taking the ship from bare steel design to the final constructed warship.
Joining a team of experienced, creative, production trade shipbuilders.
This is an exciting time to join a business that is expanding and transforming, to operate in a new, innovative, and competitive environment.
Your main responsibilities as a Fabricator - Plater will involve:
- Interpreting engineering drawings
- Marking - off materials
- Plate perpetration, using different methods (Oxy – fuel gas cutting & Hand Grinding), pressure testing, drilling & lock fitting
- Assembling of ships structures, shell, decks, bulkheads, frames, & longitudinal
- Fit, fair and tack weld steelwork using fairing aids
- Fabrication of ship items - seats, ladders, false flooring & panels
- Outfitting Ships items, fitting of hatches, watertight doors, equipment seats & false flooring
- Forming Material using machine tools – Rolling, Flanging & Cutting Machines (guillotine, cropper mechanical saw)
- Preparing ship for float-off & ship sea trials
Your skills and qualifications:
- Current knowledge and experience in Fabrication
- Trade papers, e.g., formal apprenticeship (ability to provide papers)
- Clear understanding of SHE risks awareness
- Understanding of manufacturing processes
- Must be comfortable working in confined spaces and or at height
- Safety certification i.e., SHE induction, COSHH awareness, working at height
- Background in major construction / manufacturing environment
What we are looking for in you:
You’re flexible and adaptable about how you work and what you work on, individual who’s willing to get involved. You have great verbal communication skills, with coaching abilities, i.e., passing on knowledge to apprentices, and your integrity and practical problem-solving techniques are second to none.
Location: Govan & Scotstoun - Glasgow
Salary:£33,380 (shift allowance of 33% may be applicable)
Benefits: Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.