Power Electronics Engineer
BAE Systems UK
Job Type: Not Specified
Job Title: Power Electronics Engineer
Location: Chelmsford (Great Baddow), Portsmouth (Broad Oak) & Isle of Wight (Cowes) - We offer a range of hybrid and flexible working arrangements - please speak to your recruiter about the options for this particular role
Salary: Up to £65,500 per annum dependent on skillset and experience
What you’ll be doing:
You will undertake some or all of the following tasks:
- Design of AC & DC distribution systems including sizing, protection, control, and the specification of power supplies and converters
- Motor drives, control, and positioning systems
- Data links, data protocols, networks, EMC management and verification
- Specification of bespoke procured hardware
- Design verification using a combination of simulation, analysis, and test techniques including support to EMC test houses and customer installations
- Generate design documentation and technical reports
- Interfacing with related disciplines
- Adherence to Engineering Lifecycle and contributing to progress, peer, and design reviews
- Provide Electrical Engineering expertise to the project team
Your skills and experiences:
To be successful in this role you will ideally have a degree in Electrical/Electronic Engineering or related subject with experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Generating component level electronic designs for introduction into volume production
- Previous experience of operating in a defence or high safety integrity environment
- Familiarity with Electrical Safety Standards, and EMC qualification to DEF STAN 59-411
- Design proving, integration, and defect resolution
- Gathering of evidence to support acceptance, fitness for purpose, legislative requirements, and safety
- Rigorous approach to the safety aspects associated with high power/high voltage equipment
- Experience in supporting new electrical circuit board layouts / design and upgrades
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
Our Hardware Development Team:
As a Power Electronics Engineer, you will be responsible for electrical designs. This role will provide you with the opportunity to join various complex development projects where you will see the full lifecycle and contribute through all phases.
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.