Structural Engineer (Small Craft)
BAE Systems UK
Job Type: Not Specified
Job title: Structural Engineer (Small Craft)
Location: Portsmouth - We offer a range of hybrid and flexible working arrangements
Salary: Up to £57,810dependent on experience & skills
What you’ll be doing:
- Carry out structural calculations as required for the project across a range of scenarios
- Lead minor engineering projects from requirements definition through to delivery
- Provide sound estimates for engineering work carried out and technical guidance to other team members
- Collate evidence and present solutions to provide assurance to the SDA and other stakeholders
- Liaise with sub-contract manufacturers and suppliers regarding design solutions
- Drafting, vetting and editing technical reports or other documents relevant to, or required by, a particular task in order to ensure that technical findings can be successfully communicated with recipients
Your skills and experiences:
- Ideally qualified to BEng degree level or HND/HNC with relevant experience in marine engineering, small craft design, marine technology or mechanical or equivalent degree
- Capable of leading minor engineering projects within structural design tasks
- Demonstrate knowledge and experience in composite/aluminium structural design and production knowledge
- Experience in Finite Element Analysis, ideally using Siemens NX or Ansys and by hand calculations
- Knowledge in Engineering material selection and use, according to the British Standard/Euronorms/Classification Society standards and Defence Standards
- Knowledge of commercial and/or military small craft and relevant design standards and processes (IMO, MCA, ISO, DefStan, Classification Rules)
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
The Small Boats Design team:
This is a key role in the team and is responsible for providing structural design capability across a broad spectrum of projects. The Structural Engineer will support new build, development, and post design projects for small craft.
As the designs progress through the manufacturing, test, delivery and support lifecycle, and the successful applicant will manage the Engineering Changes for their area of responsibility against a robust change management process.
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.”
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.