Principal Engineer – Control and Instrumentation Systems
BAE Systems UK
Job Type: Not Specified
Job title: Principal Engineer – Control and Instrumentation Systems
Location: Barrow-in-Furness - We offer a range of hybrid and flexible working arrangements - please speak to your recruiter about the options for this particular role.
What you’ll be doing:
- Supporting the development of the integration, testing and validation of the various complex systems within the Submarine, these systems include but are not limited to the whole boat control systems, Communication systems Vehicle control systems
- Produce white papers to support the down selection of toolsets and analysis of emerging technologies through horizon scanning as we continue to evolve from a static testing environment into dynamic model-based testing scenarios. Current areas of investigation include a move towards the use of digital twins and real time simulation including hardware-in-the-loop simulation and embedded controllers
- Support either the creation or development and integration of models using existing toolsets such as the MathWorks suite of products and the linking of these back to the initiating requirements through tools such as DOORs and EA Sparx
Your skills and experiences:
- Practical Experience of software testing including the development of test specifications and test procedures ideally in support of products such as Distributed Control systems, Programmable logic controllers, or Aviation controllers
- Strong practical experience of using the MathWorks toolsets particularly in the development of control system models
- Experience of working in a highly regulated industry such as Nuclear, Aviation, or Pharmaceutical
- Degree qualified from a STEM subject, ideally Control, Instrumentation or Testing based however others can be considered based on candidate’s experience
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
The team is a new forward-looking team looking to draw on both past experiences and emergent technology to develop innovative test environments. The team will work closely with a wide variety of stakeholders both internal and external to the business as we look to achieve our goals of proving the software solutions and their interfaces meet the requirements thus ensuring a safe product is developed.
This role will give the candidate exposure to all phases of the Submarine product lifecycle as we look ahead to future platforms and facilities to support a multi boat approach to testing going forward.
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals.
We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.