Principal Engineer - Systems Engineering
BAE Systems UK
Job Type: Not Specified
Job title: Principal Engineer – Systems Engineering
Location: Barrow-in-Furness. We offer a range of hybrid and flexible working arrangements – please speak to your recruiter about the options for this particular role.
What you’ll be doing:
The primary role within the Integrated Combat System Build Programme team is to ensure the requirements of the ICS sub-systems are captured in the test documentation to be used on board the build platforms. This includes:
- Producing test documentation to support testing and trials on the platform,
- Reviewing and evaluating documentation as part of the Test Group
- Representing ICS requirements at Test Groups and Platform reviews
- Attending key stakeholder meetings including Plan of the Day, Team meetings, Test Groups, and wider stakeholder reviews
- Supporting the Engineering Manager to deliver the Common Combat system, and sub-systems, onto the Platform
The secondary aspects to this role will be,
- Support software loading, configuration and testing
- Working as part of a team of Integration Engineers, and the conduct of testing on board the platform
- Fault-finding and reporting of functional/operational issues
- Control and coordination of classified assets and test equipment within the team
Your skills and experiences:
- Demonstrable fault-finding and test/trials/commissioning experience
- Engineering background in one of the following areas:
- Software & hardware
- IT infrastructure
- Weapons Engineering
- Combat Systems
- Degree/HND/HNC (or equivalent) in relevant engineering discipline
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual leave incentive.
The Integrated Combat Systems team:
As a Principal Systems Engineer, you will be working within the Combat Systems area on the Astute Class submarine programme. You will be responsible for delivering the Combat System from installation, through the test & commissioning phases of build; this will also include leading major trials and managing the rectification of technical faults and change embodiment activities.
This role will provide you with the chance to work on complex engineering programmes of national importance, as well as excellent future career progression and development opportunities.
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals.
We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.”
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.