Principal Engineering Manager (Functional Group Lead)
BAE Systems UK
Job Type: Not Specified
Job title: Principal Engineering Manager (Functional Group Lead)
Location: Filton, Frimley, Portsmouth, Weymouth - We offer a range of hybrid and flexible working arrangements - please speak to your recruiter about the options for this particular role.
What you’ll be doing:
- Leading a team to provide functional oversight for engineering and the delivery and support of Software Intensive Systems within the Submarine, including Control Systems and the Combat System
- Ensuring the required levels of engineering capability and subject matter expertise are available within the Submarine programme engineering teams
- Ensuring the development of engineers through identification and management of appropriate training and enabling career development moves
- Supporting the recruitment and deployment of staff in consort with department heads and line managers
- Planning for future engineering function capability based on business strategy and future needs.
- Liaison with stakeholders within the programme delivery teams to address and resolve engineering process and governance issues
- Assessing, developing requirements, and supporting deployment of new or improved policies, processes, and work instructions
- Ensuring the requirements for engineering systems and toolsets are clearly defined in support of functional needs
- Ensuring a consistent operating model, team structures and ways of working are in place for engineering teams across programmes
Your skills and experiences:
- Experienced manager or leader with an engineering background leading teams to analyse, improve, implement, and measure improvements to policies, processes, and work instructions
- Excellent understanding of the system development lifecycle, preferably in the defence industry, against the standard 'V-model' from requirement definition to customer acceptance
- Degree level qualification in relevant STEM subjects (engineering/physics/maths/science) or equivalent industry experience
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
The Functional Capability Group:
You will be leading a team of experienced engineers within the Submarines Engineering Function. The team supports and improves the capability of the engineering delivery teams who develop and support the Software Intensive Systems at the heart of the submarine including Control Systems and the Combat System. For the right candidate, training can be offered in some areas to support career development and achievement of Chartered Engineer status as recognised by The Engineering Council.
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.