Principal Engineer - Nuclear (Radiation Physics %26 Shielding)
BAE Systems UK
Job Type: Not Specified
Job title: Principal Engineer – Nuclear (Radiation Physics & Shielding)
Location: Barrow-In-Furness (Hybrid) - We offer a range of hybrid and flexible working arrangements - please speak to your recruiter about the options for this particular role
What you’ll be doing:
- Supervising and conducting analysis and experiments to support system qualification
- Leading progression of design optimisation
- Producing and reviewing radiological safety justifications for proposed design solutions
- Direct development of in-house toolsets in support of the department objectives
- Leading detailed shield design, balancing build requirements alongside system performance requirements
Your skills and experiences:
- Relevant STEM degree in Physics/Mathematics/Chemistry/Nuclear Engineering
- Demonstrable experience of radiation transport codes such as MCNP/MCBEND/Attilla
- Understanding of radiation physics
- Experience of radiation safety studies & principles
- Experience of radiation metrology
- Knowledge of the ALARP principle
- Experience of managing technical projects
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual leave incentive.
The Radiation Physics & Shielding team:
Are you looking for opportunities to progress your career in science and engineering? Would you like to lead specialist engineering and physics activities? Would you enjoy doing this whilst also working on the most complex engineering project on the planet? If the answer to any of those is yes, then we want to hear from you.
The Radiation Physics & Shielding department is responsible for the design and validation of radiation shielding for the UK's nuclear powered submarine fleet. We are engaged across three different submarine programmes in different stages of the engineering lifecycle designing new shields, providing design change assessment into the build programme and conducting radiation metrology on-board during commissioning. Alongside our primary work we actively conduct radiological safety studies for a number of other areas, design novel radiation detectors and are actively developing capability in the field of radiation damage to electronics.
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals.
We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.”
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.