BAE Systems UK
Location: United Kingdom
Job Type: Not Specified
Job title: Commercial Manager
Location: Christchurch (Dorset), or Yeovil (Somerset) sites. A level of home working will be permitted.
Salary:£61,000 dependent on skills and experience
An exciting opportunity has arisen within BAE Systems Digital Intelligence for a Commercial Manager. This role analyses and resolves business and commercial issues in response to business need within their DOA, developing new approaches and solutions or uses adapting established and standard operating procedures.
The successful candidate will lead and develop the provision of Commercial services to meet the operational needs of line management as an integral part of a business or functional team. They will identify, assess and resolve issues often working beyond the Commercial function, implementing good decisions and escalating where appropriate.
This role will provide the right candidate with the opportunity to develop their career within BAE Systems due to exposure gained across multiple business areas. Join us and you’ll be encouraged and rewarded to excel in this important work. Apply your talent where it counts.
What you’ll be doing:
- Provides Commercial leadership, coaching, support and solutions to Business Winning, Project and Delivery teams.
- Develops innovative approaches or adapts established and standard procedures and frameworks within DOA and area of responsibility to:
- Generate and prepare Bid and Contract materials.
- Develop business, proposal and contract models.
- Shapes and improves the Commercial aspects of all business plans, proposals, estimates and bid artefacts and develops innovative Commercial approaches where needed.
- Ensures compliance with Company Governance engaging widely with stakeholder functions and teams (Legal, Finance, Engineering, PM, Business Development, Export etc).
- Generation of business review materials with presentation/interaction at Leadership Team level.
- Supports and coaches Supply Chain to ensure proper flow of contractual obligations.
- Leads the negotiation of contracts and solutions ensuring compliance with Business requirements.
- Generates and finalises low level contractual documents using corporate standards.
- Can use creativity, collaborative behaviour and courage to create new and improve existing tools, process and procedures to meet complex business needs.
- Develops excellent business relationships with colleagues, internal customers/functions and external stakeholders.
- Supports junior and senior Commercial staff as an expert and a leader.
Your skills and experiences:
- Thorough, broad and deep professional knowledge of Commercial principles, techniques and practices and their application and understanding of the Commercial role in organisations.
- Very good understanding of varied contract terms, contractual and legal frameworks with experience of Contract drafting and identifying key contractual risks and associated mitigations.
- Very good understanding of Commercial interaction with related functions (finance, legal, export, offset, procurement, PM etc).
- Good track record of leading and managing negotiations.
- Proven ability to manage small teams with specific responsibilities.
- Proven background in UK MoD process and/or related UK academic/research establishments, international academic/research establishments.
- Good understanding of software, licensing, export control and Intellectual Property.
- An awareness of the defence sector and the associated information technology landscape with an understanding of international competitors and partners.
- You will be required to obtain full SC clearance.
- Good understanding of the UK Defence Sector and UK MoD process.
- Typically qualified to Degree (or equivalent) standard and experience to match role.
- Knowledge and experience of BAE Systems.
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
The Digital Intelligence team:
From keeping soldiers, sailors and pilots safe to helping countries prosper, from developing the next generation of multi domain digital products and capabilities to investing in the next generation of super-smart talent – at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we work together to give our customers an essential edge in protecting the things that really matter. Lives, livelihoods, ways of life.
As part of our Digital Intelligence team, you could be working at the edge of what is technologically possible, shaping the future to ensure our customers are ready to face challenges we cannot even imagine today. You could be developing and evolving the technologies that will defend the UK for generations to come and supporting our customers around the globe.
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.”
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.