Senior Engineer - Safety %26 Environmental
BAE Systems UK
Job Type: Not Specified
Job title: Senior Engineer - Safety & Environmental
Location: Barrow-in-Furness (Hybrid working) - We offer a range of hybrid and flexible working arrangements - please speak to your recruiter about the options for this particular role
What you’ll be doing:
- Provide technical leadership as s subject matter expert in safety engineering
- Lead and mentor small teams of junior/senior engineers
- Analyse designs of nuclear submarines using safety engineering techniques, primarily focusing on major hazards (fires, explosions, floods, high pressure releases)
- Working with large teams of multi-discipline engineers to deliver engineered risk reduction measures for nuclear submarine design
- Work across a variety of submarine programmes from early concept (including academic research) to in-service submarines
- Apply engineering judgement to justify nuclear submarine design safety
- Interface with regulators, clients within the MOD and a variety of internal stakeholders
- Produce evidence to substantiate design safety in the form of safety case documentation
Your skills and experiences:
- Degree qualified in a relevant STEM discipline and/or equivalent experience
- Excellent analytical, written, and oral communication skills with a practical and pragmatic approach to problem solving
- Highly motivated in working to understand hazards and enhance safety
- Demonstrable engineering experience (e.g. mechanical, electrical, systems, safety)
- Experience in safety case development and/or engineering design risk assessments
- Experience in a highly regulated industry such as oil, gas, nuclear, major construction, maritime, aircraft
- Experience in leading/mentoring developing engineers
- Chartered engineer or interested in chartership
This role will provide you with the opportunity to work alongside subject matter experts within an exciting and specialist skills area. The ability to become Chartered or working towards or Degree qualified in a relevant STEM discipline whilst working on critical and complex national security engineering projects.
Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
The Principal Engineer - Safety & Environmental role:
As a safety engineer you will be part of a team that will scrutinise engineered designs to find the needle in the haystack which could prevent UK submarines returning home with our Royal Navy personnel. Your contribution will help to justify that a submarine is safe for our Royal Navy to operate and will have a real and lasting impact across decades of submarine service.
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.”
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.