Principal Engineer - Software (Instrumentation)
BAE Systems UK
Job Type: Not Specified
Job Title: Principal Engineer - Software (Instrumentation)
Location: Barrow-in-Furness. We offer a range of hybrid and flexible working arrangements
What you’ll be doing:
- Capturing requirements
- Creating software to meet requirements
- Integration of software and hardware aspects of the final solution
- Production of verification/acceptance testing criteria
- Acceptance testing
- Responsible for Software Quality and Assurance Management
- Through-life support (e.g., diagnostics, patches & upgrades etc.)
- Production and review of technical documentation and reports
Your skills and experiences:
- Fluent in C, C++ and / or C#
- Detailed knowledge of software engineering approaches, processes and procedures or expert product knowledge
- Experience in producing technical documentation and reports
- Experience in leading business improvement initiatives / change managements
- Experience working with electrical/electronic systems, including fault finding, diagnostics and defect rectification
- Understanding of software test methodologies and good practices
- Degree qualified or equivalent experience in Software or Computer Science although other relevant STEM subjects may be considered
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual incentive
The Instrumentation Development Services team:
The team is in a collaborative working environment pulling together multiple disciplines to deliver a complex products and systems. As such there are opportunities to further develop with qualifications and experience. Opportunities are also available in adjacent disciplines to add resilience to the team and to provide progression and professional development opportunities in both technical and managerial career paths.
This team also supports the wider business by assisting in the operation of measurement systems and instrumentation during key measurement activities of the Submarine build programme; including the acceptance trials phases.
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.