Head of Corporate Communications, UK and Ireland
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
The Communications and Policy team is an important part of the business. It is this team’s job to communicate the positive impact Deliveroo is having for customers, restaurants and riders: whether that’s by offering riders flexible, on demand work, helping restaurants to grow their businesses through online delivery or by providing consumers with exciting food experiences.
Working in corporate communications in Deliveroo means being involved early in decisions regarding policy and operational matters. Communications is not about producing a press release once decisions are made, it’s about helping the business get its proposition right and determining how we tell our story externally to the media and other partners.
What you'll do:
You will lead on all corporate communications in the UK and Ireland, and help to shape the global communications strategy. You will report daily to the global VP of Communications and Policy in HQ, working with the Chief Business Officer for UKI, the Director of Policy and Head of Public Affairs UKI.
You will be the lead on all reactive media for the UK and Ireland, responsible for planning and delivering a set number of proactive stories in the media each month, managing an external communications agency and advising on the communication implications of policy and operational decisions. You will have one direct report.
You will be central to the positioning of Deliveroo in the UK and Irish media, ensuring our voice is heard in debates on issues such as the future of work, the role of technology in the food sector, sustainable food delivery and the future of the high street.
The essential ingredients:
- An understanding of the political context in the UK and Ireland and good pre-existing relationships with journalists.
- Experience in crisis communications.
- Experience leading media campaigns, creating and implementing strategy, with experience working with other departments, including Marketing and Public Affairs.
- An enthusiasm for up to the minute, difficult media issues. This includes a desire to pick up the phone to journalists and to form relationships with them. Business editors, political journalists and tech correspondents are all relevant.
- An enthusiasm to learn about and help make decisions right across the business, from commercial and operational decisions to HR policies.
- An understanding of the complexity of policy and societal issues which Deliveroo may be involved in, and a desire to ‘shape the debate’ with Deliveroo’s work.
Our mission is to be the definitive food company. We are transforming the way the world eats by making food more convenient and accessible. We give people the opportunity to eat what they want, as they want it.
We are a technology-driven company at the forefront of the most rapidly expanding industry in the world. We are still a small team, making a very large impact, looking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, value autonomy, and we are always looking for new ideas.
Workplace & Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer many great benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups in an exciting space.
Flexible working options are available for this role, please discuss in more detail with the recruiter