Sustainability Lawyer, Macquarie Asset Management - London
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
We’re seeking a Sustainability Lawyer with your experience to join our Macquarie Asset Management division. You will have approximately 2-4 years post qualification experience and will support the legal team based in London covering the asset management business across both public and private markets. This role will report directly to the Sustainability Legal Counsel for Macquarie Asset Management.
Macquarie Asset Management provides asset management services worldwide, specialising in equities, fixed income, multi-asset, infrastructure and renewables, real estate, agriculture, transportation finance and private credit via public and private funds, co-investments, partnerships and separately managed accounts.
Our legal team is embedded within the business and the role will provide you with the opportunity to work closely with the Macquarie Asset Management sustainability, distribution, fund operations and investment teams.
As a Sustainability Lawyer, your purpose will be to provide strategic advice on sustainability-related legal and regulatory matters that may impact MAM’s global business.
You will be responsible for:
- Supporting the development, implementation and communication of MAM’s sustainability strategy, working closely with the Sustainability team, other MAM lawyers, key internal stakeholders and the wider asset management sector
- Proactively tracking ESG regulatory change on a global basis, in all jurisdictions and markets where MAM is active and producing and sharing knowledge resources and materials
- Working on the implementation of regulatory projects (including assistance with managing and driving forward the legal aspects of the projects to completion);
- Providing strategic advice with respect to the impact of ESG legal and regulatory developments on new or existing products, services, and/or initiatives
- Advising on legal and regulatory issues relating to the manufacture, development and maintenance of Macquarie Asset Management’s sustainable funds, across both public and private markets globally and drafting ESG product disclosures in line with regulatory and market standard (e.g. CFA) requirements
- Ensuring marketing materials are aligned with product disclosures to promote consistency in messaging and a strong ESG narrative
- Advising on developments with respect to greenwashing risk, educating teams and assisting other support functions with developing governance processes to protect Macquarie against greenwashing allegations
- Monitoring ESG related litigation and shareholder activism that may impact business strategy
- Identifying issues and advising on the implementation of procedures and policies relating to rapidly changing ESG legislation; and
- Assisting with developing precedents and contributing to the Legal team’s knowledge management framework.
You will be able to demonstrate strong technical legal skills combined with the ability to take a commercial approach to problem solving including the ability to distil complex regulation and legal issues into practical advice. You will have private practice and/or in-house experience in asset management. Knowledge of the EU’s Sustainable Finance Disclosure Regulation and Taxonomy is preferred. As Macquarie Asset Management is a global asset manager, you will be required to work on global matters with the ability to communicate effectively between EMEA, Australia, Asia and the US.
If this sounds like your next role, then please apply now!
About Macquarie Asset Management
Macquarie Asset Management is a large scale, global asset manager, providing clients with access to a diverse range of capabilities and products across infrastructure, real estate, natural resources, private credit, fixed income, equities, multi-asset and liquid alternatives. As at 31 March 2022, Macquarie Asset Management had $A773.1 billion of assets under management.
Our commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
The diversity of our people is one of our greatest strengths, and an inclusive workplace enables us to embrace that diversity to deliver more innovative and sustainable solutions for our people, clients, shareholders and communities. At Macquarie, you'll be encouraged to be yourself and supported to perform at your best. If you're inspired to deliver on our purpose of ‘empowering people to innovate and invest for a better future’, we want you on our team. If you need adjustments made to the recruitment process, please reach out to your recruiter.
As an inclusive employer, Macquarie does not discriminate on the grounds of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marriage, civil partnership, pregnancy, maternity, race (including colour and ethnic or national origins), religion or belief.
Joining Macquarie means you’ll be able to work in a way that suits you best. With the right technology, support and resources, our people can work in a range of flexible ways. Talk to us about what working arrangements would help you thrive.