Energy Analyst – Global Energy Storage
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Macquarie’s Green Investment Group is looking for an Energy Analyst to support its rapidly growing global energy storage business.
Green Investment Group’s global energy storage business develops, builds, owns, and operates grid scale battery storage projects across a number of markets globally including Australia and the UK. This role is a unique opportunity for a highly motivated individual to join the team as the business looks to move to the next phase of growth in becoming a global market leader.
As a highly motivated Energy Analyst, you will support the transition to a low carbon, sustainable global economy. This role will see you work in the Technology, Markets and Trading business with responsibility for our battery storage investments. The role will be based in London, report into the Head of Technology and comprise the following key responsibilities for our EMEA region development and portfolio activities:
- A key aspect of your role will be to analyse the impact and opportunities of evolving market rules, policies, and the economic environment on the group’s portfolio across EMEA and globally.
- You will work closely with the energy modelling team to research, develop and maintain a database of accurate modelling tools for current and emerging markets, policies and regulations.
- Conduct investigations into energy market opportunities and support business case development
- You will assist with asset registration and ensure market rules are being followed effectively.
- Coordinate and integrate findings across the business to ensure effective decision making
- Produce high quality analysis, and reports
- Degree in Energy/Economics/Commerce/Advanced engineering/mathematics/analytics (i.e. Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Operations Research, etc.)
- Good understanding and interest in energy markets
- Strong ability in developing detailed analysis and reports covering both technical and engineering details as well as commercial and financial aspects
- Able to manage complex and dynamically evolving environments
- Able to approach problems creatively and commercially, take initiative and concurrently undertake and prioritise multiple tasks
- Modelling in python (or similar) is required
- Ability to handle large data sets and visualisation highly regarded
- Additional language skill is a strong preference but not required
- 2+ years’ work experience in energy or related industry
To perform at the right level in this role, you will have at least 2-3 years’ experience gained in an investment banking/energy trading environment or an advisory firm. You will have some foundation knowledge or proven commercial exposure to the renewable energy sector and be able to demonstrate strong analytical, organisational, reporting and problem-solving skills.
If you possess a strong sense of accountability, are able to focus on details while maintaining a holistic view, enjoy collaboration across functional and geographic boundaries, and want to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, we want to hear from you.
About the Green Investment Group
Green Investment Group (GIG) is a specialist green investor within Macquarie Asset Management, and a global leader in the development of companies, assets and technologies that aim to accelerate the global transition to net zero. Initially launched by the UK Government in 2012 as the Green Investment Bank, it was the first institution of its type in the world. Acquired by Macquarie in 2017, GIG has grown to become one of the world’s largest green investors with a development pipeline of more than 30 GW in over 25 markets, spanning established renewables and emerging green technologies.
Macquarie Asset Management is a global asset manager that aims to deliver positive impact for everyone. Trusted by institutions, pension funds, governments, and individuals to manage more than $A735.5 billion/EUR459.0/GBP394.6/USD531.7 in assets globally. Macquarie Asset Management is part of Macquarie Group, a diversified financial group providing clients with asset management, finance, banking, advisory and risk and capital solutions across debt, equity, and commodities.
All figures as at 31 March 2022.
Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The diversity of our people is one of our greatest strengths. An inclusive and equitable workplace enables us to embrace that diversity to deliver more innovative and sustainable solutions for our people, clients, shareholders and communities. At Macquarie, you'll be encouraged to be yourself and supported to perform at your best. If you're inspired to deliver on our purpose of ‘empowering people to innovate and invest for a better future’, we want you on our team. If you need adjustments made to the recruitment process, please reach out to your recruiter.
As an inclusive employer, Macquarie does not discriminate on the grounds of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marriage, civil partnership, pregnancy, maternity, race (including colour and ethnic or national origins), religion or belief.
Joining Macquarie means you’ll be able to work in a way that suits you best. With the right technology, support and resources, our people can work in a range of flexible ways. Talk to us about what working arrangements would help you thrive.