AWS Principal Architect
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Join the right team
At PA Consulting Group we help some of the largest and most complex organisations from across the globe to adapt and excel by adopting digital thinking and ways of working. To us, Digital Delivery is much more than a methodology; it’s the key to building the right leadership, cultural and organisational structure. Our business is made up of some of the world’s smartest Digital practitioners.
What you’ll do
As a confident self-starter, you will bring your digital delivery skills to a company where the talent-density is enviously high. You will have a pragmatic approach, a willingness to listen, learn and adapt and are energised by the challenges our clients bring. Above all, you are a selfless team player and understand the importance of your craft. You’ll have some demonstrable experience of delivering, or significantly contributing to the delivery of, digital projects.
You will work as part of cross-functional teams delivering digital products and services, digital transformation and digital service design projects. You will develop and implement tactical plans, run project rhythms and reporting and motivate and inspire project teams. In discussion and agreement with the team, you’ll implement the delivery approach and take responsibility for ensuring projects are delivered successfully.
You will have experience of running Agile ceremonies and understand the different delivery models available. You will work with the Assignment Manager or Partner to ensure our delivery solutions are robust, risk managed and commercially strong.
About the role
The big picture
- Develop a good understanding of PA’s purpose, goals and vision; and understand why clients come to PA
- Collaborate with mixed-disciplinary teams to deliver digital products and service
- Keep up to date with opportunities issues and trends, have a point of view and contribute to the Digital Delivery Community of Practice
Our AWS Technical Leaders work on digital transformation initiatives and lead digital pods, enabling development using cloud services primarily on AWS. You will work on innovative business problems to develop and implement solutions as a ‘proof of value’ to support account growth and work with delivery teams to assure the solution through to production and roll out. Client enablement is a huge part of our offering. When we deliver our new digital services, we make sure our clients can maintain them, and so you could find yourself coaching the end client in how they operate their new service.
We emphasise the end to end solution delivery that realise value at the earliest opportunity. For us, it's about bringing ingenuity to life by putting the right tools and processes in place, not running the operations of a service. As a Principal AWS Technical Leader, you will find yourself working on exciting projects, across a range of sectors and technology sets. The team will be looking to you to put the right things in place to facilitate the delivery of the service.
We want enablers. This isn't about you owning a toolkit but being an integral teammate. That means being a player-coach developing the skills of your colleagues and evangelising the product-led delivery approach. Likewise, they'll invest in you, so you can learn new development skills or perhaps assisting in the implementation of a technical framework. It's all about crafting a highly skilled performing team. We'll make an investment in you - making you a consultant with a highly diverse and applicable skillset, but we'll also need you to invest in us, helping us develop our AWS delivery approach and capability.
AWS is a significant growth area for us with a diverse and growing capability. There are a variety of different tools, cloud technologies and approaches. We don't expect you to know them all, but we're interested in speaking to technical experts with experience of:
- Cloud technologies: primarily AWS with reasonable knowledge of other cloud providers.
- Designing and deploying scalable, highly available and resilient solutions on AWS
- Selecting the appropriate AWS service based on customer use case, data, security, compute and delivery requirements
- Identify and evangelise appropriate use of AWS architectural best practices
- Mapping business requirements to actual solutions and able to develop outline business case to capture return on investment and cost of change
- Implementing DevOps practices such as IaC, continuous integration and automated deployment (CI/CD)
- Implementing microservices and containers E.g. Kubernetes, Docker, OpenShift
- Application of operational process, such as, patching strategies and dependency management of environments and virtual machines.
As a Principal AWS Technical Lead, you are encouraging a team or effort. We'll be looking at you to set direction and take responsibility for successfully achieving an outcome or deliverable. You may have a team of people to support, leading a development pod, or else you could be working across multiple pods, providing some centralised expertise necessary for a larger program of work. Your clients and colleagues will look to you for:
- Expertise in architecture.
- Knowledge of the development process, perhaps being responsible for the overall process across a pod, or multiple pods, creating strong values and putting robust methods and patterns in place.
- Maintaining communication with the client regularly, being one of the key points of engagement between the client and the project.
- Coaching and mentoring the team.
- Help shaping and contributing to bids, working with a bid team on the approach or proposal and perhaps even presenting to clients in a formal selection process.
- Playing a role in account management and strong consulting skills.
- Private medical insurance
- Interest free season ticket loan
- 25 days annual leave with the opportunity to buy 5 additional days
- Company pension scheme
- Annual performance-based bonus
- Life and Income protection insurance
- Tax efficient benefits (cycle to work, give as you earn)
- Voluntary benefits (Dental, critical illness, spouse/partner life assurance)
We believe in the power of ingenuity to build a positive human future in a technology-driven world.
As strategies, technologies and innovation collide, we create opportunity from complexity.
Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking and breakthrough use of technologies to progress further, faster. Our clients adapt and transform, and together we achieve enduring results.
An innovation and transformation consultancy, we are over 3,200 specialists in consumer, defence and security, energy and utilities, financial services, government, health and life sciences, manufacturing, and transport. Our people are strategists, innovators, designers, consultants, digital experts, scientists, engineers and technologists. We operate globally from offices across the UK, US, Europe, and the Nordics.
PA. Bringing Ingenuity to Life.
We believe that diversity makes us a stronger firm and look to employ people with different ideas, styles and skillsets. This diversity stimulates a rich, creative environment – one in which our people develop, and our clients enjoy enduring results. We’re committed to recruiting, promoting and rewarding our people solely based on their ability to contribute to PA’s goals, without regard to their sex, race, disability, religion, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or marital status.
We welcome international applications, but we are unable to offer sponsorship for work permits, so you will need to have the full right to live and work in the UK. Unfortunately, your application will be automatically rejected if you do not have these rights.