Lead UX/UI Designer
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
We believe in the power of ingenuity to build a positive human future.
As strategies, technologies and innovation collide, we create opportunity from complexity.
Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking and breakthrough use of technologies to progress further, faster. Our clients adapt and transform, and together we achieve enduring results.
An innovation and transformation consultancy, we are over 4000 specialists in consumer and manufacturing, defence and security, energy and utilities, financial services, government and public services, health and life sciences, and transport. Our people are strategists, innovators, designers, consultants, digital experts, scientists, engineers and technologists.
We operate globally from offices across the UK, US, Netherlands and Nordics.
PA. Bringing Ingenuity to Life.
Digital Design at PA
Do you crave collaboration and love creating insights that help organizations improve their agility in response to a rapidly changing market?
We are a vibrant service and product design community of experts, with deep specialist practitioner skills across all parts of the design spectrum – covering research, design strategy and service design, UX/UI and IA, through to content, prototyping and movement.
We display a generalist attitude; an understanding of the whole design process, and can easily navigate, communicate and practice the full spectrum.
We are passionate about the possibilities for innovation between Strategy, Design and Front End. We're embedded in mixed discipline teams, are militantly collaborative and believe in continual learning and supportive peer review.
Lead Designers act as visionaries, leading the evolution of design best practice and ensuring creative excellence in every aspect of our work. You will work across a variety of projects, clients and sectors, leading challenging and innovative programmes of work.
You will scope projects, formulate and articulate design strategy, develop and implement new processes. You will lead all design aspects of our work, ensuring it is robust, progressive and commercially strong. You will support the Chief Design Officer, with shared responsibility for the welfare, development and performance of the design team.
You will develop strong, long-term strategic relationships with clients and colleagues, deepening their understanding of digital design practice. And lead initiatives and develop propositions that set the direction of our vibrant global design community.
Flexible working - We are guided by our client work and needs; however, you have autonomy to manage your time and diary to suit your work/life balance.
What you’ll do
- Lead complex design engagements across multiple clients
- Formulate and lead design strategy and processes
- Present and justify design solutions to clients at a strategic level
- Build and manage strong relationships with internal teams and clients
- Clearly communicate design direction to others, oversee and guide the work of your team, but be ‘in’ the work yourself with rolled up sleeves
- Direct and produce artefacts across the full design spectrum as required
- Have a strong focus on quality and timely delivery of a complex suite of work
- Challenge inappropriate ideas and solutions and push for innovation
- Be a committed member of the community, directing and supporting design initiatives
- Line manage other designers: develop coaching and training plans, organise/run performance appraisals, support promotion cases
- Provide design input to bids and new business proposals
- Help scope projects for bids and sold work
- Assist with recruitment and onboarding of new designers
What you’ll bring
As Lead Designer you have extensive experience in solving complex digital ecosystem problems. An outstanding and highly skilled hybrid design practitioner, you can confidently navigate all parts of the design spectrum and demonstrate deep expertise in UX and UI. You have knowledge of a wide range of tools and techniques – and know when to use them.
Design Leadership Skills
- Lead by example; building strong client and colleague relationships through delivery of high impact work – demonstrating the value of being led by design
- Analyse a wide range of data to reframe problems, uncover opportunities and form hypotheses; distilling complexity into clear strategic design direction
- Militant collaborator; creating the conditions for the team to do their best work by working openly and transparently
- Set and manage clear expectations about quality and speed of team output
- Assess new design techniques and integrating them into our practice
- An approachable design authority; guiding client teams on governance and best practise
- Accurately scope, estimate effort and define design activities for large complex programmes of work
- Cast blended teams that compliment and challenge each other
- Experience line managing people, understanding skills, interests and developing their careers (we provide training and support where needed)
Exceptional Practitioner Skills
- Plan and facilitate a range of research activities to uncover user needs
- Analyse a wide range of data to reframe problems, articulate opportunities and form hypotheses
- Plan and facilitating design thinking, vision and innovation workshop activities, and co-creation sessions; both in person and using online tools
- Sketch target customer experiences, journeys and interfaces
- Create low and high fidelity design artefacts for validation/testing/delivery as required (eg. service blueprints, experience maps, user journeys, wireframes, prototypes, detailed UI design) and coach others to do the same.
- Use design, prototyping and collaboration software (eg. Figma, Sketch, Invision, Zeplin, Storybook, Axure, Adobe XD, Miro, Mural, or any others you can introduce us to)
- Interpret and follow design guidelines; creating or evolving digital design systems for complex eco-systems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Use a range of presentation techniques that are human, impactful, accessible and captivating
- Instigate full and frank conversations, employing sensitivity and robustness
- Challenge using different critique techniques, offer praise when deserved; actively seek feedback on own output and management approach
Life At PA encompasses our peoples' experience at PA. It's about how we enrich peoples’ working lives by giving them access to unique people and growth opportunities and purpose led meaningful work.
We believe diversity fuels ingenuity. Diversity of thought brings exciting perspectives; diversity of experience brings a wealth of knowledge, and diversity of skills brings the tools we need. When we bring people together with diverse backgrounds, identities, and minds, embracing that difference through an inclusive culture where our people thrive; we unleash the power of diversity – bringing ingenuity to life.
Find out more about Life at PA here.
We are dedicated to supporting the physical, emotional, social and financial well-being of our people. Check out some of our extensive benefits:
- Health and lifestyle perks accompanying private healthcare for you and your family
- 25 days annual leave (plus a bonus half day on Christmas Eve) with the opportunity to buy 5 additional days
- Generous company pension scheme
- Opportunity to get involved with community and charity-based initiatives
- Annual performance-based bonus
- PA share ownership
- Tax efficient benefits (cycle to work, give as you earn)
We recruit, retain, reward and develop our people based solely on their abilities and contributions and without reference to their age, background, disability, genetic information, parental or family status, religion or belief, race, ethnicity, nationality, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity (or expression), political belief veteran status, or other by any other range of human difference brought about by identity and experience. We are on a journey towards ensuring our workforce is diverse at all levels and that our firm is representative of the world around us. We welcome applications from underrepresented groups.
Please note: We like to recruit lots of great people into this role, across all ranks. You will see this advertised year-round and will be individually reviewed by our recruiting team who will reach out to you dependent on your suitability at this time or in the future.
Adjustments or accommodations - Should you need any adjustments or accommodations to the recruitment process, at either application or interview, please contact us.