Software Test Internship, Cambridge 2023
Job Type: Full time
Qualcomm Technologies International Ltd
Job Area:Interns Group, Interns Group > Interim Intern
The role of an Intern as a tools test engineer is to test and debug software produced by the software tools groups at Qualcomm Cambridge. The tools software is comprised of GUI applications and command line utilities across Windows, GNU Linux, Android and IOS platforms. The tools groups are also responsible for some embedded software.
Once adequate induction and training has been provided, the Intern will assist with the manual and automatic test execution of a major aspect of a project and will be responsible for delivering the software test results on a timescale agreed with the group leader. There will also be an opportunity to assist with the support and development of the test automation and results analysis infrastructure. The Intern will work with a moderate level of supervision.
The responsibilities of this role include:
- Test software of major scale and complexity to agreed timescales
- Find and investigate software defects and create high quality defect reports
- Create, document and execute detailed test plans
- Deliver high quality test results
- Create and maintain relevant documentation where necessary
- Contribute towards the continuous development of the department’s processes
- Produce or improve test automation development
- Assist with the support and development of the test automation infrastructure
- Assist with the arrangements and management of schoolwork experience students.
The responsibilities of this role do not include:
- Financial accountability (e.g., does not involve budgeting responsibility).
- Influence over key organizational decisions.
- Role in strategic planning.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collects basic information (e.g., logs, requirements) and identifies common errors related to systems testing.
- Conducts log analyses to identify where an issue has occurred.
- Discusses testing problems with manager and peers on a regular basis to maintain open communication.
- Communicates with tech leads on a project in order to verify the accuracy as well as adequate running time.
- Detects bugs in the "system under test" and report/reproduce issues using basic debugging approaches.
- Escalates technical issues to more senior colleagues.
- Collaborates with individuals inside own team to complete project work
- Time Management – The ability to manage time to meet deadlines, comply to office hours, attend required meetings at specified times, manage time priorities etc.
- Analytical Skills - The ability to collect information and identify fundamental patterns/trends in simple to moderately complex data. This includes the ability to gather, integrate, and interpret information from several sources.
- Building Trusting Relationships - The ability to build trusting, collaborative relationships and rapport with different types of people and in other groups.
- Communication - The ability to convey information clearly and accurately, as well as choosing the most effective method of delivery (e.g., email, phone, face-to-face). This includes using a technically sound communication style both verbally and in writing.
- Creating the New and Different – be willing to comment and offer suggestions for improvements to existing systems.
- Taking Initiative – Willingness to attack work activities with drive and energy, learning how these impacts on work on key metric.
- Basic understanding of python and/or squish automation tool.
- A limited understanding of PowerShell would be advantageous.
- Conclude the first year of a bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Information Systems, Computer Science, or related field.
- Monitors and utilizes computers and test equipment for more than 6 hours a day.
- Continuous communication which includes the comprehension of information with colleagues.
*References to a particular number of years experience are for indicative purposes only. Applications from candidates with equivalent experience will be considered, provided that the candidate can demonstrate an ability to fulfill the principal duties of the role and possesses the required competencies.
Applicants: If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation during the application/hiring process, please call Qualcomm’s toll-free number found here for assistance. Qualcomm will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, to support individuals with disabilities to be able participate in the hiring process. Qualcomm is also committed to making our workplace accessible for individuals with disabilities. Qualcomm is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity.
To all Staffing and Recruiting Agencies:Our Careers Site is only for individuals seeking a job at Qualcomm. Staffing and recruiting agencies and individuals being represented by an agency are not authorized to use this site or to submit profiles, applications or resumes, and any such submissions will be considered unsolicited. Qualcomm does not accept unsolicited resumes or applications from agencies. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Qualcomm employees or any other company location. Qualcomm is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes/applications.
If you would like more information about this role, please contact Qualcomm Careers.