Payroll Administrator 12 month FTC
Telegraph Media Group
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
About The Telegraph
The Telegraph is an award-winning, multimedia news brand synonymous with quality, credibility and authority for more than 160 years.
We are renowned for the analysis, perspective, opinion and insight our journalism provides to a discerning audience. Every day the content we create sets the news agenda, sparking debate and provoking comment.
Our vision, with quality journalism at the heart, is to pioneer new ways to serve 10 million registered users and 1 million subscribers. We’ll achieve this with a constant focus on our journalism, and by using the data and understanding we have of The Telegraph’s audience to successfully grow our revenue streams from subscriptions to advertising, travel, events, and financial services.
We want to capture diversity of thought through our people, create inclusive working environments that allow everyone to be their authentic selves at work while creating a sense of belonging to ensure we have the highest performing teams.
About the Role
You'll be reporting directly to the Payroll Manager and working closely with the Payroll Team to assist in the preparation and input of the Monthly payroll (approximately 1000 employees) and the Weekly Payroll (approximately 50 Casuals) into payroll software (Access-SelectPay), as well as completing necessary checks for accuracy in a timely fashion by the required deadlines. You will also also provide additional support to the team during the implementation of the new HR/Payroll system.
- To learn all elements of the Monthly Payroll i.e., Starters, Staff Changes & Leavers, Overtime, Bonus’ etc
- Maintaining Interface from HR to Payroll
- Maternity/Paternity absence calculations, both Company and Statutory pay, completing letters for HR with payment details
- Maintaining Statutory Leave spreadsheets and inputting data onto the payroll software
- Liaising with HR for return dates of parental leave and maintaining cost centres for employees on parental leave
- Updating and maintaining Acting up Allowance data and liaising with HR, when necessary
- Collate and calculate Absences – Sickness, Unpaid leave, dependant & parental leave and input onto payroll software
- Updating and entering Benefits onto payroll software and downloading Tax codes and RTI Information
- Collate reconciling reports for checking against information received
- Run Monthly FPS & check Analysis is accurate and create various reports for other areas of the business
- Collating and checking the interface Files for Pensions Provider - i.e., Joiners, Leavers, Changes and Contributions, then uploading onto their website
- Completing National Statistics information (once a month) and update and maintain monthly spreadsheets
- Weekly Payroll – Running from start to finish (for cover and parallel running)
- To assist with yearend and P11D information
- Assisting with parallel runs on the new payroll system (Ceridian) and support data cleansing in preparation for the new system
- Dealing with employee queries in a professional and timely manner
- Minimum 2 years payroll experience
- Numerate with good Excel skills & knowledge of Google Docs, and a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Quick learner with ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Knowledge of Auto-enrolment, Tax codes, Statutory payments and compulsory deductions
- A respect for confidentiality and ability to use own initiative
- Good communication skills are vital to ensure effective communication with finance and non-finance staff – will liaise closely with HR as well as the rest of the Finance team.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here by creating a suite of benefits that contribute to lifestyle choices and leisure activities. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and equal parental pay (six months fully paid for mothers and fathers), to life assurance and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
- Access to formal tech & digital skills training
- Access to LinkedIn learning
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
We want you to feel you belong here and welcome candidates from all backgrounds. Our organisation is on a continuous journey to achieve this sense of belonging, with focused inclusion policies, training, and internal networks. We believe it’s not only the right thing to do but that there’s a strong business case to support it. Because if you feel you belong, you’ll feel more comfortable, so you’ll be more likely to achieve your best.
We have a number of internal networks that are totally inclusive and open for anyone to join. These include internal inclusion networks covering employees from ethnic minority backgrounds, working families, LGBTQ+, disabilities and long-term conditions, gender, wellbeing, and women in tech.
Your wellbeing is paramount, so we have trained over 100 Mental Health First Aiders in the last two years to help support our employees. We’ve also signed the Tech Talent Charter, and are committed to driving greater inclusion and diversity in tech.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds. We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.