Senior Management Accountant 12 month FTC
Telegraph Media Group
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Contract/temp
About the Telegraph
For over 160 years, The Telegraph’s stories, dispatches, interviews, and investigations have set the agenda, sparked debate, and provided generations of readers with a trusted source of news, information, and opinion.Our vision, with quality journalism at the heart, is to pioneer new ways to serve 10 million registered users and 1 million subscribers, by 2023, a vision we all stand behind.
We wouldn’t be one of the world's most successful media organisations without the talent, determination, and creative spirit of our people. As our readers’ needs evolve, it's more important than ever that we recruit original thinkers and innovative individuals who can keep us at the forefront of our industry.
That means not only journalists but also marketers, analysts, designers, engineers, and much more.We want to foster the diversity of thought through our people, create inclusive working environments that allow everyone to be their authentic selves at work while creating a sense of belonging to ensure we have the highest performing teams.
Role purpose and overview
As Senior Management Accountant, you'll be providing support and guidance to the Digital Subscriptions business areas to help them effectively manage their budgets, whilst ensuring integrity of financial information across all digital subscriptions cost & revenue lines. You’ll provide financial information and reports to the business on a weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual basis. You will also provide balance sheet management and cashflow input, ensuring all costs and revenues are captured in accordance with stated policies and internal guidelines, and flag risks to the business in a timely fashion. This is a fantastic opportunity for a newly qualified accountant to utilise your management accounting expertise as well as support in a business partner capacity during this fixed term contract.
Provide support to Senior Finance Business Partners and relevant business teams in terms of
Weekly / Monthly Reporting
- Produce monthly management accounts, variance analysis and associated reporting-Investigate variances with the business heads and identify solutions
- Produce weekly forecast update for relevant business areas, providing analysis of any week on week changes
- Identify risks and opportunities-Balance sheet review & reconciliations
- Ensure invoices and purchase orders are raised in a timely fashion where appropriate
- Provide high quality financial reporting and information to finance and the business
- Responsible for producing reporting packs as required
- Work to strict deadlines and monthly reporting calendar
Budgeting & Forecasting
- Support the annual budgeting process by working with the business to produce cost forecasts where appropriate
- Analyse trends and identify variances or anomalies
- Support production of relevant presentations
- Support modelling of outcomes and sensitivities
- Ensure budgeting and forecasting models are utilised effectively and data is communicated to the business for review and ratification
- Liaise with the business to ensure forecast costs are accurately captured from a year to date perspective as well as a forecast perspective. This links to monthly accounting.
- Support annual audit process where required
- Provide data for external reporting where relevant
- This role is varied and is not limited to the above responsibilities.
There will be ad-hoc requirements depending on which business area the role is based within.
This role would be a great fit for a newly-qualified management accountant, CIMA or equivalent
- Proactive approach with desire to succeed
- Strong communication skills
- Confidence and ability to present financial information to a variety of stakeholders
- Collaborative approach to work and relationship building
- Problem solver, curious nature
- Strong excel and modelling skills
- Experience of Board/Agresso preferred although not essential
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here by creating a suite of benefits that contribute to lifestyle choices and leisure activities. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and equal parental pay (six months fully paid for mothers and fathers), to life assurance and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
- Access to formal tech & digital skills training
- Access to LinkedIn learning
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
We want you to feel you belong here and welcome candidates from all backgrounds. Our organisation is on a continuous journey to achieve this sense of belonging, with focused inclusion policies, training, and internal networks. We believe it’s not only the right thing to do but that there’s a strong business case to support it. Because if you feel you belong, you’ll feel more comfortable, so you’ll be more likely to achieve your best.
We have a number of internal networks that are totally inclusive and open for anyone to join. These include internal inclusion networks covering employees from ethnic minority backgrounds, working families, LGBTQ+, disabilities and long-term conditions, gender, wellbeing, and women in tech.
Your wellbeing is paramount, so we have trained over 100 Mental Health First Aiders in the last two years to help support our employees. We’ve also signed the Tech Talent Charter, and are committed to driving greater inclusion and diversity in tech.