Features Editor (Publishing)
Telegraph Media Group
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
The Telegraph is an award-winning, multimedia news brand synonymous with quality, credibility and authority for more than 160 years.
We are renowned for the analysis, perspective, opinion and insight our journalism provides to a discerning audience. Every day the content we create sets the news agenda, sparking debate and provoking comments.
Our vision, with quality journalism at the heart, is to pioneer new ways to serve 10 million registered users and 1 million subscribers. We’ll achieve this with a constant focus on our journalism, and by using the data and understanding we have of The Telegraph’s audience to successfully grow our revenue streams from subscriptions to advertising, travel, events, and financial services.
About The Role
A publishing role for an experienced and skilled editor tasked with producing features content to the highest standard for the features pages of The Telegraph website, app and newspaper. You will work across a diverse mix of subjects and content from long-form features to pithy commentary from the Telegraph’s best columnists. Overall this role is to ensure that our priority content is published to the highest standard in a timely way. Working in a fast newsroom environment, in constant communication with the wider print and digital publishing team, you will be capable of publishing numerous stories a day with accuracy and flair which will maximise reader engagement. You will be comfortable with editing copy and conceptualising layouts on the page, while having a natural instinct for effective use of visuals, from photography and illustration to best-practice for infographics.
- Work closely together with the feature commissioning editors, designers and picture editors throughout the day to ensure that the visual presentation of feature pages are the very best they can be.
- Edit features copy to a high standard ensuring it is accurate, well structured, sharply written and to word count.
- Ensure copy is brilliantly presented on page with compelling headlines, standfirsts and ensuring all the furniture accompanying it drives maximum reader engagement.
- Write effective headlines and standfirsts that can speak to both print and digital audiences
- Oversee ad and page changes through the day. Liaise with the wider publishing team and commissioning editors to ensure that any changes are swiftly dealt with and executed as required.
- Work alongside the subbing, design and picture teams to ensure copy flow is hitting daily targets and the production of the print pages run smoothly and to deadline.
- Work alongside the Head of Digital Features to ensure that the production process flows and full edited copy is delivered to digital feature producers on deadline with salient suggestions for heads and standfirsts.
- A keen awareness of the Telegraph audience in both print and digital and how to effectively engage with each.
- Liaise with digital editors and visual storytelling regarding commissions made for print commissions and help with creative solutions to presenting content differently online if required.
- An awareness for how and when to use infographics and best-practice for commissioning key visuals.
- A razor sharp eye for legally sensitive content to quickly refer for guidance.
- Proofreading as and when required.
- Coordinate next day in-house puffs, liaising with dept heads re. forthcoming highlights
- Engage with the ongoing development of features strategy with Head of Features Publishing and with keen understanding of the overarching digital strategy.
- Edit digital features and work with other departments across the newsroom e.g. video, pictures, visual journalism, design and multimedia editors to ensure content is always produced to the highest possible standard.
- Experience of copy-editing and production.
- Quick, accurate writing of headlines.
- Publishing skills needed, including knowledge of visual storytelling, infographics and a brilliant eye for photography as well as creative flair for info boxes, polls etc
- Enthusiasm, imagination and digital knowledge are all essential.
- Able to respond well under pressure and adhere to strict deadlines.
Additional skills useful for the role
- Experience of working in newspapers at regional, trade or national level.
- Strong news sense and judgement.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here by creating a suite of benefits that contribute to lifestyle choices and leisure activities. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and equal parental pay (six months fully paid for mothers and fathers), to life assurance and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
We want you to feel you belong here and welcome candidates from all backgrounds. Our organisation is on a continuous journey to achieve this sense of belonging, with focused inclusion policies, training, and internal networks. We believe it’s not only the right thing to do but that there’s a strong business case to support it. Because if you feel you belong, you’ll feel more comfortable, so you’ll be more likely to achieve your best.
We have a number of internal networks that are totally inclusive and open for anyone to join. These include internal inclusion networks covering employees from ethnic minority backgrounds, working families, LGBTQ+, disabilities and long-term conditions, gender, wellbeing, and women in tech.