Assistant Business Editor
Telegraph Media Group
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
The Telegraph is an award-winning, multimedia news brand synonymous with quality, credibility and authority for more than 162 years. We are renowned for the analysis, perspective, opinion and insight our journalism provides to a diverse and discerning audience. Every day the content we create sets the news agenda, sparking debate and provoking comment.
Our journalism is given life across our multi-platform portfolio, including The Telegraph website and app, The Daily Telegraph and The Sunday Telegraph newspapers and their digital version in The Telegraph Edition app. Our content is also distributed on a range of third party platforms including Apple News, Facebook, Snapchat, Google Home and Amazon Alexa. With 25 million UK visitors every month and 90 million browsers globally, our journalism reaches more people than ever before.
Our vision is to pioneer new ways to serve at least 10 million registered customers through quality journalism and experiences, bringing them closer to us and each other. We’ll achieve this with the constant evolution of our journalistic techniques and by using the data and understanding we have of
The Telegraph’s well-informed audience to successfully further diversify into and grow revenue streams from advertising, travel, events, financial services and subscriptions.
For more information on our purpose, beliefs and people values, please visit our corporate site. To see our latest brand campaign visit telegraph.co.uk/wordschosenwell.
About The Role
You will be responsible for setting the agenda and the final news output for Telegraph Business and Tech across digital and print. This role is platform neutral, with the focus on identifying the day’s most important stories and deciding how we are going to treat them. You will be responsible for line managing the reporting team and will work closely with other desk editors to ensure priorities and targets are met.
- Identify, commission and edit business and economics news and features with a focus on exclusives, original reporting and adding value to drive subscriptions.
- Liaise with the Business Editor plus other key editors - including planning, digital, social and print - to ensure priorities on all platforms are met.
- Manage deadlines and resources across multiple channels
- Responsible for monitoring the wires, stock market announcements, rival publications and social media to spot opportunities for coverage.
- Generate original ideas for off-diary reporting.
- Working alongside reporters to ensure fast and accurate filing of stories.
- Editing and rewriting stories as required to make fit for publication.
- A proven journalist with considerable experience working in business journalism - across print and digital - at a national level.
- Proven experience of dealing with breaking news, commissioning analysis and delivering exclusives.
- Experience of managing reporters and getting the best out of them and their copy.
- Ability to edit, to write headlines and to sell a story. Ability to spot opportunities from an array of sources.
- A persuasive and excellent communicator.
- Highly numerically literate. Experience with data journalism and use of graphics.
- Digitally savvy - understanding of digital storytelling and optimisation of content through social media and SEO.
- Understanding of analytics to help guide commissioning process.
Additional skills useful for the role
- Good eye for visuals - pictures, video and graphics to illustrate stories
- Understanding of both print and online production.
- Experience of working within a subscription model.
What you can expect from The Telegraph if you’re the successful candidate
The Telegraph business team covers everything from FTSE 100 companies to the best of the UK's small businesses, from house price data to macro-economic statistics, and everything in between. This role is a chance to play a leading part in the Telegraph’s Business and Tech team and help shape its coverage of market-moving news.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.