Senior Designer - Visual Storytelling
Telegraph Media Group
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Role purpose and overview
The Telegraph are looking for a Senior Designer to join the award winning Visual Storytelling team is an in-house creative team within The Telegraph working across digital, print, video, events and marketing. We work directly with editorial stakeholders and a newsroom of over 500 journalists. The department’s aim is brand awareness and core engagement across multiple age groups. Pushing the creative output daily, challenging the status quo whilst staying true to The Telegraph brand. As a team we cover daily reactional work and longer-term experiential interactive long-read designs, branding and visual identities for Podcasts and special projects.
- Working closely with the Design Lead on the days Features - in print and online
- Working to fast-paced deadlines on digital initiatives
- Collaborating with Graphic Artists, Video Editors, Editors, Developers, Producers and Journalists to brainstorm and storyboard short stories for the day’s’ topics
- Art direction working close with the Design Lead and Creative Director
- Working with the lead designers, to develop a leading industry approach for digital publishing.
- Good communication across departments is key
- Providing visual guidance and support to producers, editors and journalists to ensure visual excellence across all we do
- Leading projects from concept to delivery
- Mentoring, supporting and giving feedback to junior members of the team
Essential skills required for the role
Time management, ability to juggle with multiple projects
- An outstanding portfolio of projects
- Have a strong graphic design/illustration aesthetic
- Excellent creative and conceptual thinking
- Fluency with the full Adobe Creative Suite (AE, PS, AI, ID) as well as Figma
- Self motivated, proactive with a positive mentality
- Have an open minded and receptive approach to innovating and iterating your designs
- Thrive in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work independently and as well as part of a team
- Interest in current affairs and have a passion for telling stories
- A keen eye on typography and current design trends
- Experience in leading projects from concept to delivery
- Understanding of motion graphics
- Good organisation skills and experience of managing design time effectively for self and members of your team to project deadlines
- Presentation skills, ability to to communicate and present ideas to stakeholders
- Experience in editorial/newsroom is a plus
What you can expect from The Telegraph if you’re the successful candidate
- Personal and career development opportunities such as communication, soft skills and industry qualifications.
- Competitive salary
- We are an office based organisation
- Work within a dynamic team, who challenge the status quo and champion agile
- working & continuous improvement; adopting the Telegraph’s values - together, fearless, open-minded and informed - in everything we do.
- 25 days holiday; rising to 30 days after 3 years service, private pension, plus lifestyle, health & wellbeing and financial benefits.