Senior Designer - Visual Storytelling
Telegraph Media Group
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Role purpose and overview
The Telegraph are looking for a Senior Designer to join the award winning Visual Storytelling team is an in-house creative team within The Telegraph working across digital, print, video, events and marketing. We work directly with editorial stakeholders and a newsroom of over 500 journalists. The department’s aim is brand awareness and core engagement across multiple age groups. Pushing the creative output daily, challenging the status quo whilst staying true to The Telegraph brand. As a team we cover daily reactional work and longer-term experiential interactive long-read designs, branding and visual identities for Podcasts and special projects.
- Working closely with the Design Lead on the days Features - in print and online
- Working to fast-paced deadlines on digital initiatives
- Collaborating with Graphic Artists, Video Editors, Editors, Developers, Producers and Journalists to brainstorm and storyboard short stories for the day’s’ topics
- Art direction working close with the Design Lead and Creative Director
- Working with the lead designers, to develop a leading industry approach for digital publishing.
- Good communication across departments is key
- Providing visual guidance and support to producers, editors and journalists to ensure visual excellence across all we do
- Leading projects from concept to delivery
- Mentoring, supporting and giving feedback to junior members of the team
Essential skills required for the role
Time management, ability to juggle with multiple projects
- An outstanding portfolio of projects
- Have a strong graphic design/illustration aesthetic
- Excellent creative and conceptual thinking
- Fluency with the full Adobe Creative Suite (AE, PS, AI, ID) as well as Figma
- Self motivated, proactive with a positive mentality
- Have an open minded and receptive approach to innovating and iterating your designs
- Thrive in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work independently and as well as part of a team
- Interest in current affairs and have a passion for telling stories
- A keen eye on typography and current design trends
- Experience in leading projects from concept to delivery
- Understanding of motion graphics
- Good organisation skills and experience of managing design time effectively for self and members of your team to project deadlines
- Presentation skills, ability to to communicate and present ideas to stakeholders
- Experience in editorial/newsroom is a plus
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and parental leave (six months fully paid maternity leave and enhanced paternity/partner leave), to life assurance, and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
At Telegraph Media Group, we foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds. We believe in equality of opportunity and welcome candidates from all backgrounds, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socioeconomic background, religion and/or belief.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident Employer as part of the government’s Disability Confident Scheme. If you are disabled or have a long-term health condition and would like support in applying for any of our roles or if you require any reasonable adjustments in the recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
To find out more about Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging at Telegraph Media Group, and for more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.