Software Engineer (Back End)
Telegraph Media Group
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
At the Telegraph we build an amazing, engaging, fast, reliable and secure digital product (website and app) that showcases our journalism, encourages subscription and makes that process as seamless as possible.
As a Back End Engineer, your primary purpose will be to develop backend domain software applying modern best practices to deliver quality user experiences to support the Telegraphs subscription strategy.
Our Engineering principles are based on BUILD it, RUN it, OWN it.
You will ensure your code is delivered to the highest standard in line with the product goals, on time and within budget, and you will be part of the rota to provide technical support for the systems in production.
You will collaborate in the development of our performance and verification pipelines, and the cloud, the infrastructure required to run these, with the constant aim of full automation.
- Develop and maintain an enterprise-class website by building applications and custom workflows using AEM (Adobe Experience Manager).
- Work closely within a cross functional team of Delivery Managers, Business Analysts and Engineers whilst collaborating with Product Managers and Designers to ship product features.
- Architect, design and develop features on the roadmap applying modern best practices in your designs and implementations.
- Be a contributor to technical scoping and estimation of new work that comes to the team.
- Work with a DevOps mindset to help build, run and own your own code in a production environment.
- Provide 2nd line operational support as part of the on-call rota and proactively prevent, address and resolve production issues if they arise.
- Help with the hiring process to build a strong high performing team.
- Help define, roll out and evolve our testing strategy.
- Keep up with the latest technology innovations in media, cloud and software development.
- Be an active member of the Telegraph Engineering Team, contributing to the vibrant culture and promoting the Telegraph Engineering brand through public channels such as open source communities, blogs and meetups.
- Have an expert understanding of internet technologies, architectures and general application development.
- Be able to apply agile development principles and champion modern best software practices to continuously improve our software and the development processes.
- Have a strong understanding of the full software development life-cycle and be eager to influence the processes adopted by the team in delivering projects.
- Act as a strong advocate for quality in product development, continuous integration and automation and have a deep understanding on how to achieve these through the latest test strategies and using automation frameworks.
- Collaborate in all aspects of software development with a focus on quality, performance and verification pipelines with the constant aim of full automation.
- Contribute towards architectural designs and development techniques and standards.
- Be product-minded and understand the tradeoffs between quality and delivering fast.
- Have experience working across the entire software stack, from provisioning of infrastructure through to software design, development and support.
- Be able to communicate technical concepts to technical and non-technical audiences.
Technical skills required for the role
- JAVA latest editions
- JUnit unit-testing framework
- A firm believer in test-driven development and continuous deployment with tools such as Jenkins.
- Prior experience with Docker containers and CI/CD servers such as Jenkins
- Experience of software delivery within a high web traffic/high volume transactional online/digital/media environment.
- Best practice knowledge of security, performance and accessibility.
- Been part of a high-performing, autonomous, Agile development Team.
Additional skills useful for the role
- Working knowledge of cloud platforms and serverless architecture with AWS and/or GCP.
- Server Side Includes/Edge Side Includes(SSI/ESI).
- OSGI Configurations based on run modes.
- Previous usage of workflow tools such as JIRA and/or Trello
- Performance and Load Testing (Jmeter/Blazemeter).
- The Telegraph supports flexible working, per your line manager’s agreement.
- A range of excellent benefits (including on-site gym, massages, and more).
- In-role development and access to formal development.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.