Design Director (6 month FTC)
Telegraph Media Group
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
For over 160 years, The Telegraph’s stories, dispatches, interviews, and investigations have set the agenda, sparked debate, and provided generations of readers with a trusted source of news, information, and opinion.
Our vision, with quality journalism at the heart, is to pioneer new ways to serve 10 million registered users and 1 million subscribers, by 2023, a vision we all stand behind. We wouldn’t be one of the world's most successful media organisations without the talent, determination, and creative spirit of our people. As our readers’ needs evolve, it's more important than ever that we recruit original thinkers and innovative individuals who can keep us at the forefront of our industry. That means not only journalists but also marketers, analysts, designers, engineers, and much more.
We want to foster the diversity of thought through our people, create inclusive working environments that allow everyone to be their authentic selves at work while creating a sense of belonging to ensure we have the highest performing teams.
About the role
We are looking for a highly skilled Design Director to support and oversee our digital design teams. In this role you’ll report into and work closely with the Deputy Creative Director and the Creative Director to design and improve the Telegraph’s visual journalism, digital products and subscription offering. The role’s responsibilities include people management, creative direction and design for digital across web, apps, social and digital storytelling for all of The Telegraph and its strategic programmes.
Working closely with the Deputy and Creative Director, your role will be to lead and develop beyond expectations the digital design developed for our day-to-day high profile journalism. You will lead the design of the team’s daily, weekly and longer term output, supporting the Creative Director on delivering our creative vision.
You are independent, autonomous and demonstrate an exceptional eye for detail. Having extensive experience in dealing with many different stakeholders, including editors, journalists and designers is a must have. The successful candidate will be passionate about digital design and eager to work with wider teams in realising all design ideas through to delivery.
You will be experienced in articulating the motivation and rationale behind design decisions, confidently presenting these back to the business on behalf of your team. You will be expected to interpret and implement the creative vision across a broad range of projects ranging from Editorial, Product and Subscriptions.
- Oversight of digital editorial design output at The Telegraph
- Work with the Creative Director to direct best practice for integration of above into all Telegraph projects over all platforms.
- Support the delivery of our design vision, philosophy and work process for graphics content that maintains the standards of the Telegraph brand.
- Act as design representative with colleagues from across the newsroom and collaborate with them to ensure visuals are delivered within the standards of the Telegraph brand.
- Ensure that all these departments adhere to consistent visual identity and tone of voice unless specifically permitted otherwise.
- Be aware of trends and innovations in visual, editorial, and digital design to internalise best developments into the team's best practice
- Engage with print, web and planning editors to understand objectives for Telegraph journalism on a medium term basis.
- Develop teams understanding on how to analyse and edit information to form compelling visual narratives
- Uphold standards of typography and a considered design practice to create engaging information graphics and data visualisations
- Establish the creative vision and creative input into the production of visual journalism at The Telegraph
- Lead all work the team produces across The Telegraph’s print and digital platforms
- Significant professional experience as Digital Design leader in a relevant industry
- A thorough working knowledge of Figma
- Have a wealth of experience showcasing a passion for digital design and journalism
- Have proven experience leading large teams
- Have extensive professional knowledge of defining design processes, showcasing proven ability to lead and foster change
- A detail-oriented manager, who is passionate and confident about presenting stories in a visually compelling way that matches the standard of the Telegraph’s journalism.
- Be passionate about explaining complex news stories in a visually compelling way that matches the standard of the Telegraph’s journalism.
- Be able to conceive and execute all aspects of the design process, and direct other designers, producers and developers.
- Be confident and capable working collaboratively with many stakeholders from across the Telegraph including the Newsroom, Product, Technology
- Have an awareness of current affairs and an interest in storytelling
- Excel at articulating motivation and reasoning behind design decisions
- Be highly organised with exceptional time-keeping skills, able to juggle many demands and challenges simultaneously.
- Proven track record of team management skills from proven in-house/agency experience
- Experience working with online media, digital editions, social networks and digital trends.
- Have an expert understanding of how visuals are used in design and storytelling
- Thrive in leading a team within a fast paced environment
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and parental leave (six months fully paid maternity leave and enhanced paternity/partner leave), to life assurance, and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
At Telegraph Media Group, we foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds. We believe in equality of opportunity and welcome candidates from all backgrounds, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socioeconomic background, religion and/or belief.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident Employer as part of the government’s Disability Confident Scheme. If you are disabled or have a long-term health condition and would like support in applying for any of our roles or if you require any reasonable adjustments in the recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
To find out more about Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging at Telegraph Media Group, and for more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.