US Comment Editor
Telegraph Media Group
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Role purpose and overview
This new role presents an exciting opportunity to help build The Telegraph’s audience and profile in the United States through the establishment of a Comment offering dedicated to US-related content.
This will include the commissioning of opinion on subjects of interest to a US audience and getting the US perspective on world events. It will also involve sourcing and editing US writers. This content will also need to be published in the most effective way to grow our US audience and convert it into subscriptions.
This role will initially be based in the Comment department in London but there may be opportunity to move to the US in time.
- Significantly increase the amount of Comment content The Telegraph is publishing which is of interest to a US audience.
- Source and commission influential US writers to write on subjects pertinent to a US target audience and to give a US perspective on global politics, economics and geopolitics.
- Develop and oversee a Comment content strategy that will aim to grow The Telegraph’s US audience and subscription numbers.
- Liaise with digital publishing editors to ensure they produce content in a timely manner for the US, and to the highest standards.
- Work with the US homepage and app editor, and SEO editor, to optimise the production, promotion and performance of all content - with the best possible headlines, pictures and visual assets at all times.
- Utilise US app notifications to maximise audience at the most appropriate times.
- Immerse yourself in data analytics that show what the US audience is reading when, where and how - and use this as a guide as to what will work when commissioning.
- Coordinate with the UK comment editor to discuss ideas and plans, and ensure content is complementary.
- Be part of a new team aiming to achieve The Telegraph’s ambitious targets for audience and subscriber growth in the US.
- Work closely with our overnight operation in the US and Australia to ensure strong daily handovers in both the morning and evening.
- A commissioner and editor with significant experience at national level.
- Outstanding news and comment judgement.
- Awareness of what the US audience is interested in reading, and the competitor set in the US.
- Knowledge of and connections to suitable writers in the US.
- Significant experience of digital publishing and promotion.
- A deep and analytical perspective on US politics and society and global issues.
- Instinctive appreciation of a Telegraph audience and knowledge of The Telegraph’s products and writers.
- Understanding of photo, video and graphical journalism and how they can be used to engage a subscriber.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with executive editors, heads of departments and senior journalists.
- Experience of a subscription-based strategy.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here by creating a suite of benefits that contribute to lifestyle choices and leisure activities. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and parental leave (six months fully paid maternity leave and enhanced paternity/partner leave), to life assurance and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
At Telegraph Media Group, we foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds. We believe in equality of opportunity and welcome candidates from all backgrounds, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident Employer as part of the government’s Disability Confident Scheme. If you are disabled or have a long-term health condition and would like support in applying for any of our roles or if you require any reasonable adjustments in the recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
To find out more about Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging at Telegraph Media Group, and for more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.