Telegraph Media Group
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
The Telegraph is looking for an experienced journalist to become its energy editor, covering some of the biggest stories in the news at a time of unprecedented upheaval
The successful candidate will lead our coverage of the energy crisis caused by the war in Ukraine. They will be keen to delve into the challenges and opportunities of the switch to net zero; cover cutting edge technology such as nuclear fusion; and explore the interaction between politics, business and the consumer amid all this sweeping change.
This is a high-profile job, with lots of potential for travel, in which you will frequently write stories that lead the Telegraph’s digital platforms and print newspaper. A thirst for exclusives and desire to set the news agenda are key.
Ensuring the Telegraph delivers the sharpest energy coverage
- Building relationships with key figures in businesses, regulators and the Government
- Delivering scoops that set the Telegraph apart
- Securing big interviews with key players
- Unpicking and explaining the data that drives this complicated market
- Working with colleagues in the business team and wider newsroom on multifaceted political and economic stories linked to the energy industry and business more widely
- Experience covering business for a national newspaper, newswire or major trade publication
- Strong news sense and motivation to find and write stories first
- A thirst for web splashes and front page stories
- Ability to build relationships with the key decision makers in the industry
- Quick, clear and stylish writing of both news and longer form articles
- Prior experience of covering the energy market is desirable
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here by creating a suite of benefits that contribute to lifestyle choices and leisure activities. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and parental leave (six months fully paid maternity leave and enhanced paternity/partner leave), to life assurance and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
At Telegraph Media Group, we foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds. We believe in equality of opportunity and welcome candidates from all backgrounds, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident Employer as part of the government’s Disability Confident Scheme. If you are disabled or have a long-term health condition and would like support in applying for any of our roles or if you require any reasonable adjustments in the recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
To find out more about Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging at Telegraph Media Group, and for more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website