Assistant Foreign Editor: fixed-term contract
Telegraph Media Group
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Contract/temp
Role purpose and overview
In this role, you will commission, edit and publish the best stories from foreign correspondents and reporters, abroad and at home, for the Daily and Sunday Telegraph, both in print and online.
This is a fixed-term contract position to cover a period of parental leave.
- Generating ideas, commissioning, editing and publishing for The Telegraph both online and in print, working across a seven-day rota.
- Liaising with approximately 30 foreign correspondents and acting as a point of contact during breaking news events.
- Working with desk editors from multiple departments (video, graphics, pictures) on breaking news and upcoming long term events.
- Engaging with a community of readers interested in international news via Twitter, Facebook and other platforms.
- Editing pages for the Daily and Sunday Telegraph.
- Helping to plan for major forthcoming events.
- Running liveblogs for major breaking news events.
- Opportunity to build up your own areas of specialism and develop projects.
- Proven track record of news editing in a national or international newsroom.
- Strong news sense, with the ability to seek out exclusives and breaking stories.
- Experience of planning coverage of future news events and preparing diary items of news.
- Experience of working to tight daily deadlines.
- Strong ability to write and edit articles clearly, concisely and to house style.
- Have a good working understanding of social media channels to both spot and promote stories.
- Be familiar with and have experience of digital storytelling techniques.
- Proficiency in a second language is desirable.
- Willingness to travel.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here by creating a suite of benefits that contribute to lifestyle choices and leisure activities. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and parental leave (six months fully paid maternity leave and enhanced paternity/partner leave), to life assurance and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
At Telegraph Media Group, we foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds. We believe in equality of opportunity and welcome candidates from all backgrounds, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident Employer as part of the government’s Disability Confident Scheme. If you are disabled or have a long-term health condition and would like support in applying for any of our roles or if you require any reasonable adjustments in the recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
To find out more about Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging at Telegraph Media Group, and for more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.